tank mate for alligator gar

LA213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2006
Los Angeles
i just recently picked up my alligator gar at bout 4-5 inches..wondering whats some good tank mates for it..currently i have a wolf fish (hoplias microlepis) with it n a bicher..any suggestions? thanks in advance

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
None you need a much much bigger tank or better a big pond alligator gars reach 6-10 feet in length -Anne

LA213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2006
Los Angeles
well i didnt say i was gonna keep em in the 20 permenantly..i simply asked whats a good tank mate..not whats a good tank..but thanks ne ways

Reactions: Necron

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
LA213 said:
well i didnt say i was gonna keep em in the 20 permenantly..i simply asked whats a good tank mate..not whats a good tank..but thanks ne ways
Not much point of having tankmates without the right siezed tank is there?
No no you didn't but then you never said you weren't either did you?That 20 gallon tank will possibly be out grown and overstocked in a matter of a cpl of months.Gars all true gars need a tank 6'' to 1 foot wider then they are long due the thier scalation they are not very flexible and require a fairly large turning.So inorder to house this fish to any size you'll need a tank at least 36inches wide and 72 inches long (that should house till its 2-2.5 feet long) then you better have alternative housing planned(pond 20footx15footx3feet)
BTW all true gars are technically illegal in California

As for tankmates there really aren't any once it gets some size to it -Anne

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
Ok now that the lecturing is overwith. You can put whatever fish in with it that it cant swallow. They are really non aggressive to other fish as long as the other fish are big enough for the gar not to eat. If the fish is even close for it to eat or swallow then it will go after it. Stay away from fish that are short and slender. Datnoids are a good choice, Pbass, catfish, aro's, perch. etc. Also, true gars can live in a wide variety of water temps and conditions. They are pretty much bullet proof. The ideal temp for them would be around 74 degrees, but I have mine in with my tropicals at 80 and they are fine. In fact they are so bulletproof that one of my gar jumped out over night and when I found him in the morning he was dry and not moving, only one gill was working. I put him back in the tank and revived him and in 30 minutes he was swimming on his own and when I got back home from work he ate a big smelt.

Reactions: Necron

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Tankmates? How about a sturgeon?:ROFL:

MOA 066.jpg

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
E-Zeus the mythological fish deity says you get one of these:

DJ BIG T

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Orlando , FL
if i was you i would buy a bigger tank then worry about what kind of fish you can put with him...

fishyboi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
HERE
I keep mine with a datnoid, there both around 5-7 inches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store