L204, Emperor Pleco?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Anyone kept these little beauties? My LFS just got 2 in this past week. pure black with yellow/white stripes. They look stunning. Thinking of picking them up for my fire eel tank. Any possible complications? lots of driftwood/pvc in the tank for hideing/grazeing. will stay in the tank once the eel outgrows the 40 breeder? is that big enough for 2?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Would they possibly try and suck on him? I refuse to get common plecos or suggest them to people for this reason and also they outgrow most hobby tanks. The eel is very passive and non-aggresive. the 2 pleco's are about 3.5" atm.

abarilot

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
By the Beach!
I would think they wouldn't (havent owened these tought) latch onto your eel. Most plecos start the slime coat sucking if they arent fed enough. I'd say go for it if you want the two plecos cuz they'll fit in your tank no problem as long as you have hiding places for them.

Bogwoodbruce

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2007
Rotherham, UK
www.facebook.com
They are nice fish although ive always known of them as Flash peckoltia. Never kept them but i know of a friend who bought 3 and lost them all if i remember correctly. I think that the nitrate level had risen they seem to be a bit more sensitive than most plecos. They do also require a good current in the water. Nice fish, still not a common fish most are qild caught although they are being bred these days.

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
I have seven of them. They are pretty shy until the food goes in. Doubt if they would be slime suckers. btw, they are not peckoltia.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks for the imput, after talking to the owner and thinking about things, I did end up getting them. I plan on planting my 40 when the eel grows out of it. So they are currently settled into my 20H well planted tank with some cardinal tetras and cherry shrimp. They where more 3" if that. just looked bigger in the shops tanks lol. So in the next 6 monthes I will be re-doing the 40 and they will be xfered over there. first night in the tank they where actively scavengeing off the driftwood and looked very content. One hides abit more then the other but they are both the most active plecos i've had in a long time! I also didn't want to chance them sucking on my eels slime coat or my eel bullying them though he's been very docile with his other tankmates.

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Congratz on the PU! You will not regret your purchase. They are as hardy as they are beautiful. I highly recommend lots of raw zuchinni feedings, almost as a staple food. They seem to like squash better than anything else and it's good for them too. Here's one of mine at about 3 years of age. As they get older, their lines break up.

008_copy.JPG

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
I Pd $20 each but that was before the seasonal ban. They are usually twice that now depending on size. Curious to know what monstermini paid since those came from a lfs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store