black oscar with yellow fins??

new2natives

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
ohio
i was at a LFS today and happened to see 2 oscars. they were about 5" and all black with some yellow in their fins!!!!
one was more prominant yellow than the other, the lesser one being almost a solid black fish, and just hints of yellow.
the one that had a lot of yellow on it, it was almost all black, and then lots of yellow streaks/spots at the top near the dorsal fin. and the same streaking near the back fin ...
of course i couldnt get any good pictures, but just in case can someone tell me what this is? and if it will stay yellow and black?

new2natives

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
ohio
sorry they are cell phone pics, but you can see a faint little bit of yellow. those spots are 100% bright yellow in person.
think of a Yellow Lamborghini, and its literally that color!!

they are only $12 each ... but if it wont say yellow, i really dont want them

0519091938.jpg

0519091939.jpg

0519091941.jpg

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
My predictions are that it will stay relativately dark, but will get more yellow spangles on the body :D

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
not sure. my second oscar was already black orange and green. But the first oscar i bought who is still only like 4" .. wasn't as yellow as your describing at all but more yellow then orange .. he grew out of it a bit between 3-4" .. however if those are already 5" and still that yellow .. could stay. would be really sexy. thats for sure

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
looks like a normal oscar to me. Oscars never look like they did when they are young so when it double in size it will look nothing like what it does now.

new2natives

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
ohio
if they still have them when i get off work, i think i am going to give them a go :)
so i can post better pics, and then we will see how they turn out ... i'm crossing my fingers for them to stay the same color :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store