How can I look after baby Silver Arowanas?

JK9194

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
London, UK
Last week (Saturday), I bought two baby Silver Arowanas and they are 3inches long. I have no place to put. I just put two baby silver Arowanas in my baby Malawi fish tank. I though they are fine but I watch them for longer hours so I though I was going to leave it

Next day (Sunday), I saw one baby Silver Arowana is dead which have no eyes and no fins, other baby silver arowana is dying but have no fins. I was so worried and feel in the wrong way.

Today morning ( Monday), I bought second hand 3ft fish tank so tomorrow I want to buy other two baby silver Arowanas but I want keep them only in 3ft fish tank

Anyway
Please can you help me how can I look after two baby Silver Arowanas if I buy other two baby Silver Arowanas

At the moment, the things that I have in 3ft fish tank which are
Inter pro 4 (it is like fluval 4 but it is very powerful)
300 watt heater
3ft Light and switcher
Gravel

Are these things right for my 3ft fish tank or not
Tell me what I need….

Please help me and give me more advice please
(Sorry about my English)
Thanks
Joshua

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
An island somewhere......
Joshua... first off, sorry for the loss of both your arowanas. Secondly... do not duplicate your first mistake. Do not purchase two more silvers if you do not have the appropriate size thank on hand or in the very near future to house one, let alone two silver arowanas. You can certainly use a 30 gallon to house one baby silver arowana but that willl be for the first month or two... but they grow extremely fast! Lastly, if you must... purchase just one silver. They tend to fight and eventually one will kill the other. Occasionally 2 may coexist but it's a gamble. Best of luck to you.

JK9194

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
London, UK
House 64;3197687; said:
Joshua... first off, sorry for the loss of both your arowanas. Secondly... do not duplicate your first mistake. Do not purchase two more silvers if you do not have the appropriate size thank on hand or in the very near future to house one, let alone two silver arowanas. You can certainly use a 30 gallon to house one baby silver arowana but that willl be for the first month or two... but they grow extremely fast! Lastly, if you must... purchase just one silver. They tend to fight and eventually one will kill the other. Occasionally 2 may coexist but it's a gamble. Best of luck to you.
yea that what i saw.... they are fighting after they die

is malwai can fight with baby silver arowana or not

thanks
Joshua

JK9194

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
London, UK
House 64;3197687; said:
so i bought second hand 3ft fishtank which is not fishes in there so is that ok if i can buy two baby silver arowana

if they fight then i can sperate in mini tank or not

thanks
Joshua

johnnunez29

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
hollywood,fl
these arowanas grow very fast up to 3 feet.so its not a good idea to put them in a little 3 foot tank.you should only get one.also because arowanas like to fight with eachother.evrything you have in the tank is fine.but 2 arowana can not be put together

JK9194

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
London, UK
johnnunez29;3197834; said:
these arowanas grow very fast up to 3 feet.so its not a good idea to put them in a little 3 foot tank.you should only get one.also because arowanas like to fight with eachother.evrything you have in the tank is fine.but 2 arowana can not be put together
johnnunez29;3197834; said:
ok
i have two fishtak which are 3ft fishtank( empty one)` and 2ft fishtank (baby malwai fish)

so i can seprate in one

when they grow big so can i put in two aro in tank

thanks
joshua

red_wall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
The Peach State
Like they said, It's a gamble. They might fight, they might not. I'd lean more towards them fighting.

Not to mention you'd need a BIG tank for two of them.

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
my tips are,

do not have any other tank mates.
make sure the tank is cycled.
have good filtration. but it cant be overly strong. aros dont like strong currents.

it might be good to have two seprate tanks, bc baby aros fight each other also

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
First thing I you add a baby aro to a newly set up(uncycled) tank it will have very little chance of surviving. Baby aros need pristine water conditions to thrive. As far as a pair working, well you have about a 33% chance of success.

IMO baby aros are not a fish that should be kept by beginner aquarist. Basic understanding of the nitrogen cycle and basic water chemistry will increase chances of survival greatly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store