Fish is laying on its side/back

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
My firemouth was found this morning on his side. Still alive but cant stay upright. I moved it to another tank, added a heater, filter and powerhead. Seems the fish is trying to fight but I feel it may die. I dont know what to do for it. It mostly lays on its side or back, then sometimes it gets upright and sometimes it trys to swim but it swims really disorientated and darts around mostly, then back on its side or back. I also noticed its fins are a little ragged. Any suggestions? Thx

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Did you just get him recently? I don't know, Pyramid.....the only times I've seen that with fish they've died pretty quickly. It may be a genetic problem. It's so hard to tell what it is.
I'm sorry though.

Quentin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Minnesota, US
Are there other fish that may have been beating it up? Losing equilibrium is one of the first signs of life fading from fish. I'm sorry, but the future does not look bright, and recoveries after such a symptom are usually uncommon.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Fish is still alive even now, and its still on its side. Breathing is kinda normal. Just on its side though. No fish were picking on it,, the firemouth was more of the aggressive/feisty one.

Dmaan.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
Edmonton (CAN)
it sounds like a swim blatter infection.
that crap looks terrible, i don't know if that disorder ever gets better?

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
The first Green Terror I ever bought ended up with a similar problem just a few weeks after I purchased him. I tried water changes and medication, but nothing helped. After a few days of watching him struggle on the bottom, I took him out. He was dead within seconds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store