my future build 9350 gal shark tank

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
So as I briefly let on in my intro thread I am in the design phase of my future house and with it the center piece tank in the basement. If all comes together as planned then hopefully the official start date will fall sometime in the next year, but as most people know anything is possible and especially with me going into the Coast Guard if I don't get my local assignment as I hope then it will be delayed longer, but with my field of study its a pretty sure thing im hoping. Anyway here are the rough plans for the tank. Any and all feedback is appreciated, both positive and negative as long as it is kept constructive and a learning experience for everyone.

At this point the preliminary design for the tank will be aprox 25 feet long 10 feet wide 5 feet deep. The rough gallonage at this point is 9350 but I say rough as it is hard to calculate because of the corners. On the outside it will be a rectangle but the corners on the inside will be round to ensure an easier swimming area for the sharks. To accomplish this I plan to use 1 of the many local saw and lumber mills to create my custom curved plywood for the corners.

Since it will be inside the house and in the basement I have decided to do a few things in order to make this as safe and enjoyable as possible. First I decided to sink the room that this will sit in aprox 1 foot. This will ensure I don't have to pay more then I need to when it comes time to pour the slab since this area will have a thicker then normal slab. It will also mean that since I plan to have 3 drains installed in this room that if there ever were a flood that it would not flood into the rest of my basement. 2nd the display wall as I call it will be sealed to the slab it sits on which will be the main slab for the rest of the basement. It will be sealed between the base plate and the concrete via a sealant and the remainder of the room will be sealed via a 2 layer plastic vapor barrier with spray foam insulation on the wall to create a temperature stable room or as close to one as possible. Fresh air circulation will be provided either by high flow bath fans or attic cooling fans mounted on the side of the house. this has not been decided on at this point because I am not sure of the exact amount of cooling will be needed and can easily be decided on after the house is constructed as this will be an unfinished area and new construction.

Below is the construction plan as I have come up with so far, but as I said it's a work in progress as I research more and more and find different options.

Tank Details

SIDE Walls - The sides will be made out of 2 x 8's with double plates to allow for interlocking the plates at the top and bottom on the corners.

INTERIOR - The walls will be wrapped with 3/4'' t/g plywood in 3 layers glued and screwed together to make a 2.25 inch thick surface of support.

Support Joists - I have a friend who is an engineer but since this is so far off we are still goofing around with a few things and working on it but as this point the joists will be 2 x 12's most likely. We just haven't got as far as figuring out centers. I am a notorious over builder so ill prolly shrink 2 inches off his centers to add a few more boards.

Display windows - This has been with out a doubt the hardest thing to figure out. Everyone has their own theories and practices on the different thickness' and materials. I found the acrylic thickness calculator on this website, but when I talked to different custom aquarium designers and installers them all suggested different sizes then what the calc suggested. At this point I've been told from 1.5 inch with minimal bowing to nothing less then 6 inches or bursting would happen. At this point after talking with many professional builders and the research I have done up to this point I decided on 2.5 inch thick acrylic. the tank will have 2 windows because 1 large display window as much as I wanted it was turning out to be a fortune cost wise because of the thickness range I had assumed on. If it turns out when it comes time to start the build that I can use a new age slimmer acrylic that is offered then I will go back to my original desire to have a single window. Dimensions will be 10 feet wide by 4 feet tall viewable with a 3 -4 inch over lap all around. I have not narrowed the overlap distance because once again some builders say 2 inches some say 5 so I picked the middle for now until I can gather more research on that.

Waterproofing - To water proof the tank I have decided that using a double layer of 45 mil fish safe pond liner would be the best and cheapest way to go. I also plan to order either 1/8 or 1/4 inch acrylic sheets and then wrap the edges in plastic to eliminate any sharp corners. I will then simply lay these in the tank around the sides and across the bottom. The sand will keep the bottoms in place and I will add c clamps to the top to keep the top in place. this will enable that they wont cut into the pond liner and the fish will not be able to run into or eat the pond liner because lets be real fish are crazy and will nibble chew and destroy anything they have available just like dogs :screwy:.
The hardest part will be to create that leak proof seal between the pond liner and the window display section. To illustrate this problem best essentially the display wall will be 2 x 8's if you remember but the acrylic will only be 2.5 inches or slightly larger or smaller. It will not be centered in the wall but if you can imagine a 2 x 6 inch wide board that is framed into the opening and flush with the front of the wall if you were looking at it. This will create the ledge that the window will be forced against by water pressure. Depending on the required overlap this could become multiple 2 x 6's bolted together to provide the thicker ledge for the overhang. After talking with many of the same builders I have figured out 2 options at this point. The first is that I will be able to use a fiberglass component and epoxy to create this seal between the wood and the edge of the pond liner. the second option is that I run the pond liner into the ledge overhang area wrapping the 2x6's and stop it half way down the ledge. Then apply a generous amount of silicon that will cover the remaining say 1 -2 inches of the overhang and cover the pond liner to create a water tight seal. This how ever people are not so sure about as they do not know how the pond liner will react to the silicon. So the best way to say it is at this point I am at a fork in the road that has 3+ paths and I only got 2 options mapped out :nilly: and I am looking for the rest of said maps. Ideas?

Tank Cover - I plan to build gang planks that will be aprox 1 foot above the water level, if you will call them that. Essentially they are areas to walk on above the tank to use as access points to service the tank change lights etc. These will also act as supports for the front to back and middle areas of the tank to decrease any likelihood of significant bowing and provide additional strength to the overall tank. The gang planks will be in the shape of a lower case t over the tank. On either side length ways will be 1 additional joist over the tank for additional length ways support. There will then be aprox 12 fronts to middle joists connected from the front window header to the center gang planks and then 8 in the back. The sections in-between those gang planks will have ledges built inside them and acrylic covers lay on top with holes drilled into them to allow for air exchange and some evaporation. They will prolly be in the 1/8'' range for thickness and hinged on 1 side and a latch on the other. This is solely to prevent anything from jumping out. I originally thought about window screen but decided it was to easy to break and a larger fish jumping out could easily go through it and a larger netting might catch or hook a fin and cause damage to the inhabitants of the tank.

Equipment

Sump - will also be wood built and pond liner and acrylic lining once again to not let warm pumps come in contact with it and potential melting over time. Dimensions at this time are looking like 8 x 3 x 3 potentially.

Skimmer - I am looking at getting 2 commercial line MRC skimmers at this point they stand 8 feet tall which was really important cause I wanted tall skimmers and not stubby and wide and are rated at 8500 gallons each. There is also a good chance I will have them modified to allow for ozone injection.

Return pump - at this point I am really up in the air on these. Some people have suggested pool pumps but I just have not got past the fact they have metal in them. So for now I am planning on 3 reef-flow gold commercial 2 hp pumps. Each is rated at 11k gph and I figure I will have 1 feed the left side and left back, 1 feed the middle back and 1 feed the right side and right back.

Lighting - this will be decided once the tank has been filled with water. It will most likely be either 400 watt metal halides, 160 watt vho strips or a combo at both. Since there will be minimal corals prolly just mushrooms xenia and other fast growing carpeting style corals it won't need to be light saturated like reef tanks. Which every light penetrates to the bottom the best will be what gets used. a 3rd option is to use high power sodium lights that can be gotten at home depot cheaply but I haven't done much research especially to see if they promote algae growth or any potential negative side effects. Size of their mounting units may also be a problem.

Natural filters - the tank will have a 3 -4 inch sand bed seeded with some natural sand and will have at least a few hundred pounds of live rock put into random piles and zip tied together through out the tank.

UV - the tank will have UV filters connected to the sump to help make sure the water is extra clean and parasite free.

Water movement - at this point I am not 100% sure but if the maxi jet sure mod kits get an improvement to their impeller shafts in the next year then I will prolly go with many of these to provide mega flow inside the tank as they are cheap and powerful. If the modded maxi jets aren't much better then they are now then I will prolly go with an all korelia setup. Much more expensive but provide the same gph or better rating wise as the modded maxi jets.

Water changes - water changes will also be a breeze as I plan to have the sump directly connected to a floor drain to allow for easy draining for water changes. There will then be a 500 gallon storage container of pre made saltwater to allow for instant water changes. There will also be another 500 gallon container in the garage of all freshwater to allow for easy top off of evaporate. The biggest problem I am having is locating any sort of mass salt provider, but I have found 2 recipes online for making your own salt water. lucky for me my soon to be wife is majoring in chemistry so between her and the local Baltimore and Washington DC aquarium I should be able to figure out how to make my own by buying bulk chemical supplies and just putting them all together instead of buying say 200 bucks of instant ocean.

That's the plan for equipment at this point and I don't see it changing that much because I have used similar setups on other tanks with great success, but I am always open to new ideas. There definitely will be no bioballs or similar filter media in this setup :ROFL:.

Only other thing of note at this point is because of the sunken fish room floor by 1 foot the tank will appear level with the basement floor and will allow easy and relaxable enjoyment from a couch or lazy boy so you can sip on your beverage of choice while relaxing to a great scenic view:cheers:.

anyway I don't think I am allowed to add pictures for a few more posts, but I have also designed a rough sketch of our house we plan to build using better homes home designer suite and have pictures of the tank and fish room so I will post those up for people to see including a view from the couch towards the tank :). I look forward to any and all input especially in relation to my salt and acrylic thickness problems.

Thanks Justin

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
1 other thing of note that i forgot was that i also plan to paint the entire wood tank with killz to help seal it to prevent it from sucking up moisture. the pond liner will lay on top of this as the actual water proof membrane. the killz will mostly provide protection to the exterior of the tank like the support walls. i may also wrap the outside in 1/4'' plywood and protect the metal bracing i plan to use inside like the deck joist supports and other metal parts like hurricane tie rods.

justin

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
I had already thought of that and that was the reasoning behind lining the interior with acrylic sheets as protection for the pond liner.

i have a 250 and a 90 right now.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
If your going to go this big allready, why don't you just seal the tank with some spray on/roll on stuff? Or maybe fibreglass even coated in Krylon Fusion?

Awesome plan! I can only immagine the energy cost of running that monster! I actually plan on building my dream monster as part of the addition my girlfriend and I add to our house in St. Petersburg, FL. Instead of using plywood I plan to just build a small "room" with 2 viewing windows, a skylight, and som sort of ventilation system that will keep it from acting as a heater and humidifier to the rest of the house. I am not an architect so I have a lot of learning ahead of me, but I was planning on just adding rebar and concrete filling the blocks for the "room" and then sealing them with one of the products used for public aquariums. Did you look into this as opposed to plywood? Can't wait to see your build in progress! I hope things work out between you and uncle Sam!

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
Hey guys thanks for the replies.

Eric - I had considered doing an acrylic fiber and epoxy coat as the water proofing method but decided against it for a couple reasons. It would be incredibly time consuming doing something as large as this and expensive for the supplies. I would still line it in acrylic as well just from the fact I have read a few articles where the owners talked about rocks falling into the sides and cause a break or reduced strength in that area that eventually lead to leakage. Also after talking with a few stores that supplied the fiber cloth and epoxies they all said I would need to do the combo because they wouldn't recommend the epoxy by its self. pond liner allowed a quicker more "weekend" style time frame to install it and set it up as opposed to months and allot more money for the fiberglass and epoxy method.

Niceguynick - I had considered the cinderblocks or an all concrete frame but decided that if we are ever forced to sell the house or move because of anything that I wanted something not quite so permanent and easier to take down and even take with us during the move to reset up. Also having to pay for a masonry crew would be an added expense. I wanted to be able to keep the build of the tank as cheap as possible to put all the money being saved into top of the line equipment and accessories.

Journeykc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
Southern Indiana
www.youtube.com
The pond liner is not a good idea. If you are lining the tank in acrylic you should just seal the seams with fiberglass and epoxy, then get your local spray on bedliner company to come out and spray it for you. We have looked into this and it is very feasible. They have mobile machines that they can take to do off-site jobs. The pond liners tend to develop leaks even in the smoothest of conditions. Just a thought..................

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
On a scale this huge, no matter how hard you try it will not just be a weekend job. This WILL take months. You may as well just go out and do it properly. This project won't be cheap so why skimp on something as important as waterproofing.

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
journey - I have never heard of anyone using a spray on bed liner for a fishtank before. I know they can be water tight but i would worry about the actual chemicals used in the product. I doubt they have ever tested it against saltwater for continuous and long exposure and how it would handle.

Eric - I did not mean that it would be built and done in a weekend for everything. Sorry i guess that was a bad way of saying that it would take a shorter amount of time then the other options. Like wise this project will not take months either in my opinion. I may not have built a tank of this magnitude before but i know for a fact framing the tank wont take but a day or 2, 3 tops. After that it is just a matter of plumbing it and installing the acrylic. I never said that the project would be cheap, simply that the money i could save on building the actual tank structure could be spent on equipment. 2 60 Mil pond liners(keep in mind it was suggested 45 mil would be more then sufficient by a couple dealers) would run me under 1k easily. Likewise the amount of fiberglass cloth resin and epoxy would cost many thousands especially since when i was looking into that option i was planning at least 3 -4 layers to ensure a strong shell. I will note that i have not scrapped this idea totally as i have considered going to a local fiberglass boat builder and having them coat the plywood in their factory if they would do that. All that would be required of then is to merely install the sheets and seal the joints.

thanks for the replies so far guys! i appreciate the feedback.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store