Alligator Gar - Growth Rate?

LIGNARI

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I know how big (ultimately), these can get.
I also know that they can reach 18" - 24" in their first 12 months.
I read that their growth slows a bit after this?

What's the growth rate after the first 12 months?
How long before it stops growing?

Cheers.

MrHarris

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
feeder tank
I bought two 3-4" alligator gars about 3 weeks ago. They are now 7" each. They are monsters and I already had to move them to a bigger tank. Unbelievable !

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
will be 3ft in 6mths

j.k i have no idea but it woulnd suprise me

LIGNARI

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Anyone have any real experience of this gars growth after 12 months? :)
(I need to plan/budget for tanks or pond, down the track).

Cheers

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Anyone have any real experience of this gars growth after 12 months? :)
(I need to plan/budget for tanks or pond, down the track).

Cheers
Typically in captivity a gator will reach 24 inches it's first year if well cared for. After this point growth slows to maybe 2 to 4 inches a year. They tend to get really big and skinny looking at first then fill out more with time.

Juanch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Philippines
which one grows faster & has a bigger appetite, an alligator gar or an arapaima? i already have a 12in arapaima & getting 2 gars this month... just want to prepare for the expenses as well...:)

deangelo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2006
Pilipinas/ Los Angeles
which one grows faster & has a bigger appetite, an alligator gar or an arapaima? i already have a 12in arapaima & getting 2 gars this month... just want to prepare for the expenses as well...:)

i would think the paima has a bigger appetite cos ive heard of peole who oned them complaining that its gonna eat them out of their home....the paima also grows bigger faster and u should get a pond cuz i think theyll out grow ur tank or any average sized tank for that matter those suckers grow up to 8-10 ft.....good luck bro and post some picks of those sweet fish once u get them together......:) :) :) :)

deangelo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2006
Pilipinas/ Los Angeles
none yet but i always wanted one..,maybe someday.. a friend of mine had one though and it smashed his tank when it outgrew it..plus those fish cost a lot of money thats why i can understand ur concern for them, good luck again bro....dont forget those pics:) :) :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store