CITES PROPOSALS: Important for the hobby

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Received this from the head of PIJAC, Marshall Meyers. This is a list of species that the US is considering submitting to the council for possible inclusion on the CITES listings. Of particular importance is that the Potamotrygon genus is under consideration.

From the alert:

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published its Notice in today’s Federal Register (74 FR 33460-33464, July 13, 2009) describing proposed resolutions, decisions and agenda items that the U.S. may submit for consideration at the next Conference of the Parties of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). The Fifteenth COP is scheduled for March 13-25, 2010 in Doha, Qatar. Of particular interest to the live animal trade will be a series of proposed amendments to the list of regulated species (Appendix I, II and III). Other areas of interest involve several operational decisions or resolutions implementing the Convention.
Species Issues
The Service, in response to an earlier Federal Register Notice, received recommendations involving 46 taxa (5 families, 7 genera, and 34 individual species). Following an assessment of the available trade and biological data, the Service’s preliminary determinations include:

1. Species the United States is likely to submit for consideration:
Red and Pink coral (Corallium spp.) for inclusion in Appendix II
Bobcat (Lynx rufus) for removal from Appendix II.

2. Species for which the United States is “undecided” for inclusion in Appendix I or II pending receipt of additional information and consultations:

Nautilids (Allonautilus Spp.) for inclusion in II
Freshwater sawfish (Pristis microdon) for transfer from II to I
Spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) for inclusion in II
Devil and Manta rays (Mobulidae) for inclusion in II
Freshwater stingrays (Potamotrygonidae) for inclusion in II
American eel (Anguilla rostrata) for inclusion in II
Common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentine) for inclusion in III (This involves a unilateral decision by the US since it involves inclusion in III) Spotted turtle (Clemmys guttata) for inclusion in II

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
ewurm;3279007; said:
Received this from the head of PIJAC, Marshall Meyers. This is a list of species that the US is considering submitting to the council for possible inclusion on the CITES listings. Of particular importance is that the Potamotrygon genus is under consideration.

From the alert:

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published its Notice in today’s Federal Register (74 FR 33460-33464, July 13, 2009) describing proposed resolutions, decisions and agenda items that the U.S. may submit for consideration at the next Conference of the Parties of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). The Fifteenth COP is scheduled for March 13-25, 2010 in Doha, Qatar. Of particular interest to the live animal trade will be a series of proposed amendments to the list of regulated species (Appendix I, II and III). Other areas of interest involve several operational decisions or resolutions implementing the Convention.
Species Issues
The Service, in response to an earlier Federal Register Notice, received recommendations involving 46 taxa (5 families, 7 genera, and 34 individual species). Following an assessment of the available trade and biological data, the Service’s preliminary determinations include:

1. Species the United States is likely to submit for consideration:
Red and Pink coral (Corallium spp.) for inclusion in Appendix II
Bobcat (Lynx rufus) for removal from Appendix II.

2. Species for which the United States is “undecided” for inclusion in Appendix I or II pending receipt of additional information and consultations:

Nautilids (Allonautilus Spp.) for inclusion in II
Freshwater sawfish (Pristis microdon) for transfer from II to I
Spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) for inclusion in II
Devil and Manta rays (Mobulidae) for inclusion in II
Freshwater stingrays (Potamotrygonidae) for inclusion in II
American eel (Anguilla rostrata) for inclusion in II
Common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentine) for inclusion in III (This involves a unilateral decision by the US since it involves inclusion in III) Spotted turtle (Clemmys guttata) for inclusion in II
Ohman. I was planning on trying to keep ALL of those (aside from the sawfish) sometime in the future..

Arapaimaman

In Loving Memory
Aug 27, 2005
Central Florida
I would like to buy a fresh water sawfish from Australia.I wanted a all Australia theme tank.I have 5 Australian lungfish and those are Cities II.If they put the sawfish to Cities I people will not try to breed them and help protect them.Just like the fresh water stingray.Even if they are breed in captivity,you will still need a Cities II permit.Thsi has to be stopped,now.
Arapaimaman

[enjoyable_attempt]

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
I sure hope they don't outlaw the rays....They can only live in the southern united states anyways...

I'm sure being here in Ohio if I threw my hystrix out into the river it would surely die.

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
What would happen to the ones that are already here? (stingrays) would they be grandfathered or would they be destroyed?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
[enjoyable_attempt];3279431; said:
I sure hope they don't outlaw the rays....They can only live in the southern united states anyways...

I'm sure being here in Ohio if I threw my hystrix out into the river it would surely die.
The CITES listing is not to prevent invasive species, it is to protect the population of the animal from over-utilization.

koop171;3281591; said:
What would happen to the ones that are already here? (stingrays) would they be grandfathered or would they be destroyed?
It would depend on the listing and any law the U.S might pass in conjunction with the listing. A listing on CITES II would mean that trade would be restricted, not banned. Further studies would need to be done to determine a sustainable utilization rate for each species in the genus, and a quota for export would be created, much the same method Brazil is using to protect their populations. The difference is that it would become international law, not just Brazilian law, and would effect the legal export from or import from all South American countries that have endemic populations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store