electric blue jack dempsey vs powder blue jack dempsey

bigjon79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
rancho cucamonga,ca
hi every1 im a new member and i have been fascinated by the electric blue jack dempseys and when i found out that a store had them i went over there.

once i got there i saw the fish and they were labled as "powder blue jack dempsey" not electric blue so i was a little confused... the guy told me they are 2 different fish and that this one will stay sky blue for ever.. so i went home did some research and im even more confused now because my fish look exactly like a ebjd. and people say it is the same thing and others say it isn't can you guys help me clear out this dispute?

here is some pictures so you guys can see what he looks like:

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
There is only one type of Blue Dempsey... regardless of what they call it...

Your fish is an "Electric Blue Jack Dempsey" just like everyone else's...

Next time you are at that Local Fish Store kick the guy and tell him he is either an idiot or a liar...

I've raised quite a few Blue Dempseys and have seen them go through quite a few different color patterns... many things influence their color and suggesting one will keep a specific color shade "forever" is in no way true. Therre are simply too many variables that influence color.

bigjon79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
rancho cucamonga,ca
great, thanks i have also heard that these fish are very sensitive and prone to many diseases including the intestine one of the worms or w/e so i have been paranoid and i was thinking in adding some general cure in the tank even tho he looks perfectly fine.. i just don't want to lose him he cost me 30 bucks! =( my most expensive fish so far haha

cichlid_starter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2009
Indianapolis
don't medicate unless you need to. it can actually do more damage that good to your fish.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
They are prone to internal parasitic infections...

Some lines have mild deformities including a beak like nose/snout, large or misshapen eyes (rare) or misshapen fins... It is highly suspected by many this is due to heavy inbreeding...

I use UV lights to reduce/remove the risk of parasitic infection… others have reported good results at using a garlic supplement when feeding and treating with Jungle Parasite Clear when signs of parasites are noticed.

The most common sign of internal parasites is white stringy poop…

I would avoid adding random chemicals in their tank as a precaution. Clear water, a healthy diet and daily observation is the best approach… then treat when necessary with the proper treatment…

bigjon79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
rancho cucamonga,ca
ok thank you. im actually going to go buy another ebjd today im currently keeping them in a 5 gallon tank right now since they are an inch long... once they get about an inch longer i definately have to move them atleast to my 40 gallon

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Is the 5 gallon tank cycled?

If the tank does not have proper bacterial colonies in place to convert ammonia to nitrite then nitrite to nitrate... then there will be ammonia spikes and these spikes will likely kill the Blue Dempseys...

Clean stable water parameters are essential to proper development of young Blue Dempseys as well as any other fish. For this reason I would discourage keeping them in tiny tanks even though they are tiny themselves...

bigjon79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
rancho cucamonga,ca
yes i put the water from my other tank that has 0 nitrates 0 nitrites n erything i perfect the 5 gallon has a poor filtration its a whisper. but i added ammo-carb in the bio bag and also threw in some bio media on the gravel

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Adding water from an established tank does not transfer bacteria...

Was the bio media you put on the gravel out of a mature tank? If so this has or will likely help...

I would monitor the ammonia in the tank with the existing Blue Dempsey for at least a week to ensure there is no sign of ammonia... if ammonia readings are zero every day for a week then I would feel comfortable adding one more Baby Blue...

As you said, at $30 each there is no reason to take chances...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store