Feeding my Elephant Nose

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
hey there, ne1 here keep an elephant nose? what do you feed it? ive been trying frozen blood worms and he has only eaten like 3 bites over the last week. would live bloodworms work? how much do live worms ussualy cost? thnx.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
i'm allso interested in knowing what ya feed these guys typically :)

turtall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
State of Hawai'i
If you just got it then 3 bites is good. The frozen bloodworms are actually mosquito larvae and thats plenty of protein for a new fish. It's a good sign that it's eating at all. Be patient.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Live tubifex, blackworms, and chopped eathworms alls work.
True bloodworms are a midge larvae like iceworms.

Here is the live bloodworm and a drawing of the midge, and a pic of mosquito larvae and a drawing of an adult.

bloodworm.jpg

adultmidge.gif

various_larvae.jpg

mosquito.jpg

casperbgk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
NSW, Australia
ive had a couple and they always loved frozen bloodworms. they can be a bit shy so you may have to wait while to see him. BTw what do you have him in with?

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
hes in with my juvi bichir, ive heard alot of bad rap about the live tubiflex and blacks, have i been misled?

casperbgk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
NSW, Australia
umm not sure. ive heard a lot of bad stuff about all worms, blood worms included. theres a guy nere me who wont seel u any fish if u so much as mention the word "bloodworm":D
but my lil elephants loved em, they wouldnt eat any other food. and watch out with tankmates, ive never kept any bichirs so not sure what theyre like but elephant noses can be absolute sooks sometimes, my last one got bullied to death by a BGK:(
anyway, theyre cool lil fishies, thats for sure:)

oh forgot to say, mine would only come out to feed at night and when the lights where all dim

Micky_Fahaka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2006
Chesterfield, UK
Ive kept elepahnt nose for a while, they can be quite timid and some only like to feed at night......Ive been feeding mine flake and blood worm, but I have tried daphnia and fish eggs as well!

prm

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
the lfs
I feed mine right before of after the lights go off and I give him privacy when he eats, because he seems like hes watching me instead of food even if im in the same room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store