Triggerfish Experiment

FishDude121

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2006
Florida
I am going to attempt to put 2-3 triggers in the same tank ... they are the coolest fish in that they have the most personality of any fish ... i hope it works out! they are very hardy fish in general plus not too expensive. Anybody out there ever put 2 or more triggers in the same tank? Anyone know anyone who did? Any suggestions?

flagtail

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2005
here fishy fishy
Currently I have a 5-6 Picasso Trigger and just introduced a 2" Niger Trigger.....no issues at all.....
I have also had a Clown Trigger about 7" and introduced another 5" Niger, again no problem....
I should mention the tank is a 48"x18"x30"high.

You should be ok.....but always a good idea to keep a close eye for the first couple of days..

good luck

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
I have had 3 triggers in the same tank before. First bought the Humu Humu (4"), then introduced a Niger (3"). Humu went after the niger, but nothing too bad. I then bought a larger clown trigger (5"). Dominated the Humu, but never actually bit him. They were all doing fine in the 90 gallon. Did a conversion on my 230, moved them in there. Bought a 6" emperor angel. Within 10 minutes, the clown trigger had killed the emperor. Didn't leave him alone at all for those 10 minutes - back and forth across the tank. I was prepping a tank up to move the clown into, but it was too late. I thought since the triggers basically left one another alone, I didn't have to worry about introducing an angel at all. Lesson learnt. My suggestion - they do fine together, but get the least aggressive triggers first, then add the more aggressive triggers after. They don't seem to like any 'new' fish in their space, but as long as fish were in there first, they are ok.

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
I am going to attempt to put 2-3 triggers in the same tank ... they are the coolest fish in that they have the most personality of any fish ... i hope it works out! they are very hardy fish in general plus not too expensive. Anybody out there ever put 2 or more triggers in the same tank? Anyone know anyone who did? Any suggestions?
Yes ME.Works out great.

FishDude121

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2006
Florida
Wow, thanks everyone, its good to get opinions from people who really know what they're doing unlike some people that work in the aquarium stores around here. Can't wait for summer to get this trigger tank set up. cmon may 16th.......

FishDude121

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2006
Florida
I know all the triggers have quite the personality, i've had picasso and rectangulus before but does anyone own a different species with any interesting characteristics? Undulate? Blue line? pink tail? niger?

Triggerfish rock :headbang2

BlondeBantam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2006
Southern IL
As a general rule, I'd steer clear of the undulate and blue-line, as both are well known for their incredible ferocity, killing any other fish they see, attacking you, destroying the equipment, all the usual trigger stuff, but much more so.

BlondeBantam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2006
Southern IL
Nigers, pinktails, and the often expensive Xanthicthys triggers are quite peaceful, with all of the interesting trigger activity. Be warned though, Niger triggers can get huge. What size tank are you going to set up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store