Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic for lining plywood tanks?

rnocera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried using FRP, or Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic to line plywood tanks. This is the same stuff you see in commercial bathrooms- that plastic lining the wall to keep water from ruining things. It's waterproof, and silicone seals it against itself. I've seen people build wooden reptile cages and line them with FRP and silicone sealed edges, so why not aquariums? I'm guessing that since I've never heard of anyone using it there's some reason not to, but is it just that no one has ever had the thought?

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
The trouble with frp is if the edges get wet, it will de-laminate.
Water resistant, not water proof.

rnocera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I think we may be thinking of different products. . . FRP shouldn't delaminate, even at the edges. If you cut a sheet of FRP, it's plastic & fiberglass mixed the whole way through, and bonded very firmly - better than fiberglass bonds to plywood.

Are you thinking of a particle board type sheet covered in FRP? I've seen those as well as the plain FRP sheets.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Be similar to what Arl did to make his tank - he used ABS sheets and goop though. If you can find out what kind of resin the FRP you're thinking of uses, it should be a no brainer. If it's polyester or Vinylester resin, you can rough up the edges and fiberglass the seams together with the appropriate resin, making a one piece box inside the plywood.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
on another note though I don't think that stuff is very cheap. I know the fiberglass sheeting they use on the sides of RVs and so on isn't very cheap - but it would work as well if you didn't want to seal on the wood directly like most people do.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
found a sheet of black 96x48 for about 70 bucks... might be feasible to simply use silicone.. I'd hate to have a leak though.. you wouldn't know till the plywood failed. I'm thinking that's the major reason a lot of people don't use it.

rnocera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
If I'm thinking right the textured stuff was around $50/sheet at Lowes a while back. I could be wrong about that price, though.

Now I need to think of a solution for how to find early detection of a leak. The only thing I can think of is open corners, which is a disaster waiting to happen.

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
If the plywood bows, would the plastic sheets crack? My tub surround has developed a crack in it after 10 years of use (not bad I guess) but I wouldn't want my plywood tank to leak either.

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
i thought about using frp too. i think it would work as long as you used the correct sealant for the edges and corners. just make sure you do a good job sealing it and you shouldnt have a problem. And as long as you brace the plywood, you're not going to bow anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store