Help me understand, please...

Ficious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Iowa
So the point of THIS forum is to rally around the HR669 bill and shut it down? You all as fishkeepers want these animals and fish to not be banned...correct?

green_fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
canada
i believe so yes

Ficious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Iowa
Ok...So my opinion on the matter is a bit on the other side of the fence. I live in the midwest and vacation north a lot. There are several invasive species that are breaking down a lot of our natural habitat and the native species that live there.

My last trip to the BWCAW there were two new species added to the list that i havent seen before. Gobys and snakeheads are amoung the list of non native species that are destroying populations and reproduction of native species. I dont think common tropical fish are going to be banned because, well, they cannot survive here. america has banned snakeheads because they are a large threat to our waters here. Also many pararsites and illnesses that come with these fish are just as threatening.

If you want to complain (all due respect) about this go ahead. Im a conservative and yes in a way I believe we need to preserve what we have. Adding yet one more bill to the book isnt my favor but if its needed to stop the threat...whatever.

If this bill gets passed (who knows if it will), most people that arent up to date arent going to know about it. I just imagine this as people wanting to stop this bill so they can have it their way..."for the fish". Hopefuly the will revise it to a thinner margin and key in on the species that are a threat only??

biggin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2008
Somewhere
Species like snakeheads are already restricted in the US.....why do they need a new law?

Why are people so eager to get a new law on the books because it "sounds" good? Don't like your government representatives go out do a little research, read the bill(they did not and will not) and find out there is a lot more too it then banning gold fish or banning snakeheads.

But that being said HR669 is effectively done. Next year it will be brought up again or perhaps later this year.

Ficious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Iowa
biggin;3328490; said:
Species like snakeheads are already restricted in the US.....why do they need a new law?

Why are people so eager to get a new law on the books because it "sounds" good? Don't like your government representatives go out do a little research, read the bill(they did not and will not) and find out there is a lot more too it then banning gold fish or banning snakeheads.

But that being said HR669 is effectively done. Next year it will be brought up again or perhaps later this year.
I didnt say that I didnt like my state rep, what bill am I reading? I read the HR669. I gave many reasons besides banning goldfish and snakeheads. I never even said snakeheads werent already banned, so im not saying a new law needs to be made?? anyway...i dont really dont understand your response because its as if you didnt read my answer.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Ficious;3328327; said:
Ok...So my opinion on the matter is a bit on the other side of the fence. I live in the midwest and vacation north a lot. There are several invasive species that are breaking down a lot of our natural habitat and the native species that live there.

My last trip to the BWCAW there were two new species added to the list that i havent seen before. Gobys and snakeheads are amoung the list of non native species that are destroying populations and reproduction of native species. I dont think common tropical fish are going to be banned because, well, they cannot survive here. america has banned snakeheads because they are a large threat to our waters here. Also many pararsites and illnesses that come with these fish are just as threatening.

If you want to complain (all due respect) about this go ahead. Im a conservative and yes in a way I believe we need to preserve what we have. Adding yet one more bill to the book isnt my favor but if its needed to stop the threat...whatever.

If this bill gets passed (who knows if it will), most people that arent up to date arent going to know about it. I just imagine this as people wanting to stop this bill so they can have it their way..."for the fish". Hopefuly the will revise it to a thinner margin and key in on the species that are a threat only??

The key argument for me is the blanket effect of the ban. Banning a tropical fish that is invasive in Florida and could not survive in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area or any of the other Northern states is preposterous. Most states already have laws that govern this, and they need to do a better job of policing themselves.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
ewurm;3329366; said:
The key argument for me is the blanket effect of the ban. Banning a tropical fish that is invasive in Florida and could not survive in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area or any of the other Northern states is preposterous. Most states already have laws that govern this, and they need to do a better job of policing themselves.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!!:headbang2

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
Also I believe the ranged alot further than just fish. It included birds, reptiles, and even dogs that are not native to the US. This was just my understanding of it, correct me if I'm wrong.

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewurm

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!:headbang2
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store