One 1,000G Indoor Monsterfish Pond Coming Up! (Ghetto Style)

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
Posting all the way from Manila, Philippines.

Washing all that gravel is tiring.

Fish "room" I guess.

Started filling it up.

My 7 year old son's idea to separate the white and black, pretty neat I idea I thought, so I adopted it.

This is an Intex 10' Metal Frame pool, I've added a couple of layers of tarp and another Intex liner. So, around 1,100 gallons. The final yellow tarp is a pretty thick tarp that the shop they assured me would be good for years.

Questions:
1. I currently have 2 100G fully stocked tanks, is it a good idea for me to dump the water change from those tanks into this one? I'm just thinking at least there's some BB in the water instead of from the tap? If I were to transfer a lot of the filter media from the old 2 100G to this one, will it still take me around a month to cycle properly?

2. Is the fishless cycle faster than the fish cycle? Impatient fellow here..:irked:

3. For mech/bio filtration, am thinking of getting 2 Rio 20HF pumps and will DIY a filtration system using plastic crates like this:

maybe 4-5 stacks on these crates will do. Will use some pot scrubbers, straws, scour pads, mosquito nets among other things...

Any comments, inputs and other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
Thanks, I currently have:

1. 3 RB Pacu's around 10"
2. 1 Clown Knife Fish around 18"

Am looking at getting me a 2-3 foot ID/Paroon Shark and see how things go from there.

Also thinking of getting Rays, but don't really have a lot of experience yet with Rays.

paopanlilio

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
makati
congrats
what part of mla are you from?

for the bio media and water from established tanks would be a great idea
i did it more than once

but its the other way around bigger tank to smaller tank not
big tanks to bigger pond

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
paopanlilio;3340220; said:
congrats
what part of mla are you from?
Makati, same as you. So excited about the pond, I'm still up. What's your excuse?:)

paopanlilio

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
makati
MeAko;3340245; said:
Makati, same as you. So excited about the pond, I'm still up. What's your excuse?:)

killing time in the office :)

KMKN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
????
nice looks good so far but i cant wait to see it filled

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Keep the other tanks running, squeezing the media into the pond system weekly during water changes. Throw the water (from water changes) into the pond as well. If you can wait a month, do it. I have "jumped started" tanks in a week, but that was only a couple hundred gal., not thousands, and not a pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store