--Q'S ABOUT FLYING PANCAKES--

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I have now owned several rays, and noticed how they all have different personalities. I have a Hybrid ray that is never on the bottom of the tank he is always all over the glass and floating in the water column. She is around 8-9". It seems that juveniles seem to "fly" around more than adults. Does anybody have any mature rays that are like this?

It also seems rays that marble rays and/or mantilla type rays fly around more than others. Anybody have thoughts on this?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
My "Mantilla" doesn't do anything but eat and sit there.

I think it depends largely on how big thier enclosure is. Mine used to "fly" around alot in thier growout tanks but in larger tanks don't seem to do it near as much.

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
my old humerosa would never glide around, she was a voracious eater but very un motivated. my new mm is crazy though and is more often swimming in the current of my FX5 than actually on the ground. its funny cause my dat and parrot fish are usually lower than him so its as if i have a reverse living tank.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
A mantilla that sits there... couch potato... :)

not too sure that is the case for me. I use to believe that...I have a 4 x 4 pond that has a 4" CB male motoro in it and he floats alot. back will be out of the water and riding the current, i think that a 4' x 4' is enough room for him. :) my Hystrix are in a small 4x2x2.5 and they hardly ever "fly". Maybe the bigger the enclosure they less current for them to fly???

With my hybrids they are in a 6x2x2.5 and have had other rays that were larger than them in there and they never "glassed".

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
LBathory;3354866; said:
my old humerosa would never glide around, she was a voracious eater but very un motivated. my new mm is crazy though and is more often swimming in the current of my FX5 than actually on the ground. its funny cause my dat and parrot fish are usually lower than him so its as if i have a reverse living tank.
that is what i mean, marbles or marble hybrids... Seen lots of vid;s of marbles flying...lol

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
All of my males love to fly around. I have yet to own a female that would scale the tank and float through the water. Both my male jags, my male aparicio,and my male mantilla swim all over the place. I honestly think they get tired of the females biting them LOL!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
keepinfish;3354868; said:
A mantilla that sits there... couch potato... :)
I think most rays that are well over the foot mark can be filed under "couch potatoes" ;)

I think it's a size/age thing.

Don't get me wrong, I've had lots of rays that enjoyed the current and climbing the walls, but most of mine have outgrown it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store