Moving a 20" Arowana ?

Andri Pogo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Iceland
Im getting a 20" Black Arowana.
I have never moved such a big fish before so i got a little worried about how i should go at picking it up :confused:
The biggest "moving box" I have is a square plastic container with a lid thats 20x14x16" (lengthxwidthxheight)
Do you think it would freak out or should it be ok for the 20min drive?
Also, since its a beautiful & rare fish out here i would like to get it out of the tank with the least chance of damaging fins and scales. Would a pillow case or a plastic bag treat it better than a large net ?

All advice welcome, Thanks!

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
Bderick just moved his two large Silvers into another tank. I think he used a bag.

I'm sure he will chime in w/ some advice.

Westie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
Bay Area CA USA
Use 2 huge nets, 1 at either side and close them up. Also, make sure your container has a locking lid. This is usually a 2 person job. And, be careful for all 3 your sakes.

Chaitika

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
I use a doubled-up shipping bag to move my RTG. Dunk the shipping bag into the half-drained tank and semi-submerge with the mouth of the bag open wide. You can either try to guide the aro into the bag or what I do is use the bag to slowly capture the aro at one end of the tank.

He will not be pleased once he realizes he's been trapped so you'll want to make sure you move relatively quickly.

Try to remove a lot of the water from the double-bag before lifting out of the tank, otherwise you will have a hard time lifting it out. You can always add water to the bag once he is clear of the tank. I would place the double-bag in the container you refer to and move him that way. You will need him in the bag to land him in the new tank, so I wouldn't even bother taking him out of the bag. Seal the inner bag up and trap lots of air in it before you tie it off. Then tie off the outer bag. You'll be good to go. :)

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I've used big plastic containers with locking lids to move large fish before and they work well. Not sure how the fish will react if it can't straighten itself out with out touching the ends of the container though, you might want to get something a bit bigger.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
For a 20" black aro a large bag works great, for 27" silver aros the bag method is a little more difficult. I would not recommend using nets, arowana have a knack for climbing out of them plus I've seen nets damage eyes and barbels.

Coleman coolers work very well for moving large fish greater distances.

PetZoneSanDiego

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
San Diego, California
www.PetZoneSD.com
You would definitely need a large bag to transport this guy, you maybe able to get one from a LFS. We have helped out quite a few customers with large transport bags and styrofoam boxes so ask nicely and they may hook you up :)

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
I used one of these boxes to move a two-footer, and he died. He beat the crap out of himself when we put him in. He calmed down during the drive, but the point at which he was put in, and the lid placed on, was heart-wrenching. I would not move this fish in this way. Bags, definitely.

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
I agree, nets and aros are not a good match. Drain as much water from the tank as possible and always transport in a bag not in a container.

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
I also use a coleman container to transport large fish. It keeps the heat in for those cold winter days we have up here in Canuck land. I drilled a hole in the lid to feed an airline through so I could use a battery operated airpod/air stone. I have a 2 hr+ drive and haven't lost any transported fish yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store