Blue Dolphin Spawn

RonBurgundy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
U.S California
My Cytocara Moorii's third attempt was finally successful. She held for 2 weeks and delivered about 60-65 fry. They are about 3 weeks old and growing out in a 20 long. Problem is mom and dad are getting ready to spawn again. Enjoy!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Congrats!
You can easily get overrun with fry from them,save some to sell or trade but dont feel you have to save them all.

RonBurgundy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
U.S California
acerkai640;3398489; said:
congrats man any pics of parents?
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've raised these fish from 1-2 inches and it nice to see them mature. Here's some shots of the parents on a previous spawn in May. The bottom pic is the less dominate male who is bigger than the father...but not quite as tough. Enjoy!

007.JPG

010.JPG

014.JPG

019.JPG

056.JPG

acerkai640

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Lake Havasu City
thanks fpr that...how long have you had them? i have 2 right now and they are about 2.5" inches. so just curious how long youve had them and how big are they now

RonBurgundy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
U.S California
acerkai640;3399362; said:
thanks fpr that...how long have you had them? i have 2 right now and they are about 2.5" inches. so just curious how long youve had them and how big are they now
I've had them now for about 18 months and I bought them at about the same size as yours. The female is about 5 inches, and the father is a solid 7 inches, not including tail. The outcast male is a good 8 inches These are very entertaining and tough fish. Just make sure you read up on their diet when yours mature and/or I can fill you on what I've done with their diet.

acerkai640

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Lake Havasu City
can you please let me know...right now i feed all my fish high quallity spiralina flakes and FBS once a week. should i switch it up?

RonBurgundy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
U.S California
acerkai640;3401323; said:
can you please let me know...right now i feed all my fish high quallity spiralina flakes and FBS once a week. should i switch it up?
I really feel the key to the african cichlids is moderation and varied diet. I've also read and talked a bit regarding what type of foods are successful with the Africans. The moorii is a sifter and scavenger, (carnivore) that in the wild actually has a varied diet because they are eating what others miss or is too small. They are known to travel in colonys following other pretatory fish such as the Rostratus for scraps. These fish can bloat if given too much dry food from what I've read. So I try to give them them one of the shrimps every other day or so. Here's what mine have been raised on and what they still eat today. I do give them a little spiralina every once and a while but not much. And, more importantly I feed in moderation as my fish mature. Hope this helps.

Tetra Cichlid Flake
NLS (New Life Spectrum) small pellets
Mysis shrimp
Brine shrimp
Store frozen raw shrimp (cleaned and finely chopped)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store