"Gar" mistake?

Realist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
Idaho
Now I went to the store today, and i got a fish labeled "White Gar". now I can't exactly remember the name they had it under, but that's as close as I can remember it to.

I bought it, thinking, "cool! a Gar fish!" and I asked about it. the man I asked said it only grew to about six inches.

it is, of course, white. it has a spot on the tail fin... and that's all I can remember about it at the moment, without running across my house. it does have the long body of the Gar, of course, but after looking through the various gar images I've seen on the sticky, I've become skeptical as to whether or not it is a gar.

if you need more details (as I'm sure you do), tell me; I'll post the details ASAP. thanks much.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Watch him/her for a while. If it's swimming around, and it doesn't come up for air after five minutes or so, it's not a gar. I say 'if it's swimming around' because gar commonly lay on the bottom of the aquarium during the day. They are more active at night. So if it's laying on the bottom, it's not going to come up for air as often. If it has nostrils on the end of its 'nose' (mouth) and it comes up for air (looks like it comes up and opens its mouth, snapping at the surface of the water slowly) then it is a gar. Hope this helps.

predatorbass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
HADES
kinda sounds like a rocket gar or hujeta gar

predatorbass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
HADES
does it look like this?

Realist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
Idaho
justonemoretank;3412388; said:
Watch him/her for a while. If it's swimming around, and it doesn't come up for air after five minutes or so, it's not a gar. I say 'if it's swimming around' because gar commonly lay on the bottom of the aquarium during the day. They are more active at night. So if it's laying on the bottom, it's not going to come up for air as often. If it has nostrils on the end of its 'nose' (mouth) and it comes up for air (looks like it comes up and opens its mouth, snapping at the surface of the water slowly) then it is a gar. Hope this helps.
Yes, I watched it, and it seemed to have "yawned" at the top of my aquarium, although it's jaws never left the water. he has stayed at the top of the water column, aside from darting down and eating one of my tiger barbs (expensive food!).

Thanks for all the help, guys.

predatorbass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
HADES
wow how big was the tiger barb? i used to have a hujeta a while back he was about 9 in got him to eat 2 inch comets

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store