Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
hey guys, my 20L has the current inhabitants:

1 half-dollar sized Angel
4 bronze/green corys
2 bala sharks

last week my smaller bala shark looked like it had ich/ick and it's fins were clamped and it looked reddish like someone blushing, it is now completely fine but now my larger bala shark has ich/ick but isn't very sickly, the corys and Angel are completely fine, the temp is a stable 79F and i am raising the temp slowly to 86F, i can't use salt because of the corys (or can i?)

according to this article, simply raising the temp to 86F should eventually rid this tank of ich/ick: http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

any advice/suggestions?

ridether

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
M.O
The key word is eventually…eventually could be weeks..when you us Temp/salt/remove C. you can get rid of ich in 34 hours. I would hate to see my fish suffer for weeks if there was another way.. Salt is only used to lower stress which helps the fish fight the ich. .

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have recently found several references to successfully using 2 tsp/gallon salt with cories. Salt does more than lower stress, when the swarm emerges from the encystment it is vulnerable to osmotic differential for a short time, this is why the heat and salt treatment works with both salt resistant and heat resistant strains of ich.

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
thanks guppy, i'll use 2 tsp/gallon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store