Dead yellow tang

fcamargo6thave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Jersey City NJ
So i have been lurking this website and others for months on how to start a saltwater setup. I had been cycling a 45 gallon tank for 2 months with blue dansels and it went pretty smooth no problems and no deaths.. Now i gave my blue dansels to a buddy so he can cycle his tank and i brought in 2 clown fish, a yellow tang and a foxface rabbitfish. It has been 12 days since i introduced these fish to my tank and I am already having problems. For the first few days the fish were doing fine and i was able to see them fish and enjoy the water, Now it seems that they are very stressed.. the 3 fish stay behind a rock all day and only come out once in a while to look for food which I find that they sometimes dont eat.. The clown fish are twitching from time to time and are have become more secluded. The foxface changes a tintish brown from time to time but then returns to his bright yellow.. the Yellow tang looked like he developed ick and was turning whitish but would return to his yellow but not the bright yellow it should be thus after noticing his symptoms he died today.

Now I was doing a 30% water change weekly but now i dont know what to do the Salinity of the tank is about what it should be 1.023. I dont know what my water parameters are i need to buy a test kit and will do so tommorow ( i only have a freshwater test kit) << can i use that?? Doubt it?? Right?? For the ick i tried raising the temp to keep it between 83 and 86 degrees.. & I am feeding the fish Ocean's nutrition prime reef frozen food ( which a cube of blend of seafood with algae.

What am i doing wrong are the fish ok?? or are they in danger of ending up like the yellow tang??

sw2.jpg

sw fish 1.jpg

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
i believe your water quality is bad, you stocked the tank too fast. add one fish every other week max if your not watching your parameters(not recommended)
note a 4 inch tang is not equivalent to 1nch damsel so extra care should be taken when adding large fish.

lower your salinity to 1.019 to help with ich. it wont kill it but it should help.

chawk610

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX.
I agree.... def. too much too fast, I have been going for 2 months as well and are up to 3 small fish! I would focus on keeping what you have alive.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I would suggest like has been posted... you've over loaded the biological limit of the established tank.
You'll need more surface area for 'good' bacteria to grow on (live rock, bioballs, fluidized sandbed etc...).
Cryptocaryon is a harsh parasite to deal with. Low salinity is a great start to keep it at bay. Copper is another good way to treat it, but it's pretty harsh on fish, and I would never do it in the main tank. Down side of treating in a quarantine tank is that the parasite can live in the sandbed for awhile without a host.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
as stated some quality (cured) liverock would go a long way toward fixing the problem, it would've helped eliminate that 2month cycle as well

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
too fast stocking, the tang needs a way bigger tank - 75 minimum.

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
You might consider a wrasse for cleaning - even six line wrasse work well!

jdubb1316

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
jackson M.I.
I agree with everyone else u did stock your tank way to fast, and u need to build up more bacteria in the tank,u should try to buy some product that will help u to put a little more bacteria in the tank it wont do everything u need but it will help the tank to cycle a little bit faster,also buy some live rock ,as far as the fish go all u can do is keep a close eye on them and keep your finger's crossed.U also needed a saltwater test kit before u even put fish in the tank that should have been 1 of the first things u bought,without being able to test the water in your tank u really cant do to much of anything,having a test kit is essential!!!!!

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
too many livestock to quickly in such a new system I would have only added 1 fish in that amount of time or tried to wait another 4 months. To much of a bio-load overload

mr.reef24

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store