How many electric yellows in a tank?

Maich

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2009
Redding, CA
I have a 75 gallon, semi-aggressive - aggressive tank, All the fish are compatible with electric yellows, don't worry... And i was wondering...

Should i just put in one electric yellow male and one female? Or something like 1 male and 3 - 4 females to distribute the aggression? And if i put 3 - 4 would he breed with all of them or just 1? Just another one of my newby questions.

:nilly: :screwy:

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.
My experience with them is that they are not aggressive to one another, nor to any of the other fish I keep. They breed like rabbits, one of my favorite mbuna!

Maich

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2009
Redding, CA
Thanks for your time, but you didint answer my question...

And in my experience they are little devils... lol *Killed an Oscar 4 inches bigger then it was*

I guess what im trying to find out, is if 1 male and 3 - 4 females will all breed together or not.

glenbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
England
They are on par wit the agression of say a Convict Cichlid' which in Mbuna terms = Pussy but in new World terms = hardcore :p

So in other words...they are great with other Mbunas but not the best idea to mix them with placid New Worlds.

Maich

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2009
Redding, CA
Wasn't my question. My question is, Would it be better to have 1 male 3 females, or 1 male 1 female. And if i put 1 male with 3 females, would he breed with all 3 or just 1?

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.
Maich;3436279; said:
Thanks for your time, but you didint answer my question...

And in my experience they are little devils... lol *Killed an Oscar 4 inches bigger then it was*

I guess what im trying to find out, is if 1 male and 3 - 4 females will all breed together or not.
Ok, let's answer the questions:

Yes, the male will mate with all the females. The real question is identifing the sexes of the fish. If you are buying them under 2 inches, it's going to be tough. The males have much more black in their ventral fins but it's difficult to make this determination due to the general lack of color when they are juviniles. The only sure way is to vent the fish. The ovipositor or vent is the hole between the fish's anus and anal fin. Female mouth brooding cichlids have a much more pronounced or larger vent diameter when compared to the fish's anus.

Good luck!

Maich

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2009
Redding, CA
THANK YOU! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW! :D

And actually i am not buying them, i currently have about 30 fry, 1 inch at the moment.

I plan on keeping a few for breeding stock, and selling the rest.

+100 to you :nilly:

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.
You are more than welcome......good luck with all those babies!

If you are going to breed them, then I would look to improving the blood line and buying a healthy, vibrant male to mate with the females from the fry.

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.
BTW,

You are going to have to make an investment in some "grow out" tanks, you are going to have more babies than you know what to do with!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store