Boulengerochromis Microlepsis super aggro?

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
Just how aggressive are emperor cichlids? All I can find are pretty old threads where people are just introducing juveniles to their tanks, anybody have an update?

I have never had a problem with large african cichlids eating small ones...even with large 8"+ Haps in the tank I can add 1.5-2" peacocks with no problem, but thinking way down the road a ways, I'm not sure about a fish that can get 2 feet in an aquarium with fish that top out at around 6-7" or even the 8-12" haps....

If you had african community tank large enough to house one would you add one?

Or have you already tried?

I want to try one pretty bad but am not sure what the odds are of him becoming a pain in the butt as he gets big and what I would do with him if he did.

I have heard a few horror stories but all of them where with a pair of emps being mixed with less aggressive SA and CA fish like PBass. I believe an emperor cichlid can take out a Pbass any day because IMO african cichlid aggression is on a whole different level than new world cichlid aggression.

iamzrad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2008
Southern Penn
Yeah, Emperor's go past 2'. I would suggest a minimum of 220gals for one. They are very agile and fast fish, so they need a lot of room to move around.

I def. do not suggest mixing old world (african) and new world (sa/ca) cichlids. Different water parameters and all, plus I personally hate seeing when they are mixed.

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
I think you misunderstood, I am not planning on keeping them with peacock bass, I was saying I have heard horror stories but most of those stories were about them being kept with Peacock bass and not with other africans.

As for their size I have never seen them get larger then 2' feet except for in tanks of 500+ gallons.

I am planning on putting just one in a 270g peacock and hap tank... thumbs up or thumbs down?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
I used to have a group of six range from 10"-13" in a tank with arowanas, datnoids, couple 12" Siamese giant barbs, a 12" Flagtail, and a few other fish. They didn't really bother any fish in the tank, not even the barbs or Flagtail. Unfortunately, they were eaten by my other fish in the same tank. I thought they were agile and very fast fish, too, but once they settle in, they're pretty calm and confidence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store