question

ymolina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
illinois
ok i introduced a yellow lab an a other cichlid that i forgot the name too into a tank with a jd an a poly sen an a albino poly sen. is ther really a warning about puttin ca cichlids with africans or is that just a rule not to mix them? cause mine are swimmin with the jd an not really botherin each other besides when i feed them.

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
SA/CA Cichlids and African Cichlids require different water parameters than each other in order to thrive.

ymolina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
illinois
yea i know about the water but like in terms of aggression i heard that africans are supposed to be more aggressive but mine are swimmin with the jd like ther buddies. its makin me want to get them a orange cichlid from the assorted cichlid tank from the lfs.

ibr3ak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
They'll be nice and sweet while juvies, then they'll want to establish territories and a pecking order, which is another reason why mixing new world with africans is not advised, different temperament and a different way of interpreting aggression.

The diet is different as well, you want low protein foods for africans to avoid the bloat.

With locally tank raised fish the ph usually isn't that important though, as long as it's stable.

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.
Your common SA/CA's cichlid are no match for most African rift lake cichlids. In my early years of fish keeping I was somewhat successful keeping both types together in the same tank. The relentless aggression of the African is just too much for the SA/CA cichlid. I can't think of a single SA that would be able to co-exist with something like a run of the mill mbuna like a kenyi, let alone something ultra aggresive like a Pseudotropeus demasoni, even at 3 times the size.

As posted, the dietary requirements are much different and the rift lake guys prefer a much more alkaline water chemistry.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Early on I had a Red Devil live for about a year with some Africans...........once the Devil got twice the size of the afro's by by africans. FYI the yellow lab will stand no chance @ any size against a pissed Dempsey.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Mixing cichlids like this is like mixing latex and oil based paint. You have the two cans, you need the color that if mixed they would give you... why not try it. You have heard 1000x that it won't work, but you try it anyway, and discover.... it doesn't work.

It doesn't work when you mix CA and African cichlids either. Some people just have to learn for them selves and can't learn from the mistakes of others.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
it isn't a rule set in stone, but in general, mbuna and neotropicals shouldn't be mixed due to either diet or aggression level/difference. Personally, I believe you can mix some Africans with CA/SA cichlids, but it would be some haps, not so much with mbuna

ymolina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
illinois
as in food yes i have different foods for all my fish. tropical fish flakes for the gouramis an stuff like that. cichlid staple an cichlid gold for the parrot cichlid, jd, an africans, an bloodworms, krill, an plankton for my bichirs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store