55 African Community

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
So, ive been wanting to make a nice big african community for awhile. The biggest tank i have open right now is a 55. How many fish do you think i would be able to keep in there? The tank will be full of rocks and places for them to hide.

HypeMan808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Hawaii
Aloha,
I'm sure you can make a big community tank w/ a 55.
As long as you have sufficient amount of rocks and hiding places and what not.

In my 30 long I have 5-7 each of these following species
Cherry Red Zebras,Kenyi,Yellow Labs, Acei, Johannii, Demasoni, and 5 syno. pentricolas and 2 frontosas...

I know that it might be over crowded but that's the only way I found to balance the territory issue.

My saying is get a lot or get 1..
Or be sure to have a looooooooooot of hiding places.

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
Thanks. Thats what i was thinking, the more fish, the less aggresion level hopefully.

immunknyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
New York City
yes overstock but ,, remeber one inch of fish per gallon most mbuna about 6 inches so id go maybe 10 - 14 no more or u need like 2 - 3 filters for all the waste,,

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
immunknyc;3466593; said:
yes overstock but ,, remeber one inch of fish per gallon most mbuna about 6 inches so id go maybe 10 - 14 no more or u need like 2 - 3 filters for all the waste,,
Ill have 2 power filters running on the tank and powerheads.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
I would not follow the stocking list that was given.

For a 55 I would look at two or three species for the tank. 1m -3f. I also do not follow the one inch per gallon concept. It is flawed. I agree that overstocking is okay. I have about 10 in my 40B and 15 (some dwarf) in my 55. It may seem like an empty tank at first but they will grow into it.

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
mike dunagan;3466844; said:

For a 55 I would look at two or three species for the tank. 1m -3f. I also do not follow the one inch per gallon concept. It is flawed. I agree that overstocking is okay. I have about 10 in my 40B and 15 (some dwarf) in my 55. It may seem like an empty tank at first but they will grow into it.
Very true about when they finally grow into it. I was thinking around 15 or so.

HypeMan808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Hawaii
mike dunagan;3466844; said:

That's just my grow out.
They are doing great though..Maybe cuz they are still juvies commin into adults. Ha'
I might put each species in there seperate 55 gallon tanks in about a mo. or to. Or until they start to get rowdy...

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
^ You have a bigger tank then 55gal? Those frontosas are going to need a bigger tank when they get bigger, even for 2 that is too small.

I agree with Mike's advice. Overstocking isn't bad but dont go overboard. Stick to a few species that you really like and get a good male to female ratio b/c that will also help with agression (the more females per male the better). The rockwork will also help break down territories and allow hiding areas. I had 8 or so of mixed mbuna in my 55gal when I had it running and it was fine to me when they were all grown at 6 inch size. You can do a little more then that, but I wouldn't go crazy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store