Malawi diyn

Hesh69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Sri Lanka
i bought 36 malawis ystrdy(1 inch each)..by the morning 15 of them were dead :cry: :cry: :cry:
i perfectly cycled the tank :( i dunno feel lik hangin my self

Hesh69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Sri Lanka
ibr3ak;3475417; said:
How big is the tank? How did you acclimate them?
4 feet long..1 n half feet wide!!

i let them float in the bag for abt 10 mints then slowly added the tank water kept few mints..then released them :(

SupeDM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
Minnesota
For 1" fish that isnt enough time to acclimate them. they should be floated for at least 30 mins and then slowly have water from the tank added over 1 hour. Smaller fish are much more easily shocked by different water parameters and will show it much faster also.:(

cgronko

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Arizona
either your water is bad or they are killing eachother. Cichlids are very adaptable, I do very little acclimation and none of my cichlids ever die from it. Check your water with a test kit, and check out the dead fish and see if they are getting attacked

Hesh69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Sri Lanka
kingyella;3475648; said:
how did you cycle the tank?
i hv a mechanical filter..and a powerhead filter both..n previously oscars n red tail catfish were in the tank..i rmvd 1/4 of the water n refilled n areated it 24 hours!!! sigh..

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
check all the params make sure the ph isn't too low, is their any signs of stress in the surviving cichlids?? usually 1 inchers dont kill each other what types were they?

Hesh69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Sri Lanka
greenearthlawns;3476182; said:
check all the params make sure the ph isn't too low, is their any signs of stress in the surviving cichlids?? usually 1 inchers dont kill each other what types were they?
i dont hv the test kit bro.. if its too low wt should i do?

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
you need to get a test kit!! get the complete kit so you can test EVERYTHING!! if its low you need to slowly raise it up but lets test it first k... how are the other fish??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store