"WILD CAUGHT" mbuna LOL

badger126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Idaho
I work at petsmart and I had to share this LOL with everyone. I had trouble not laughing in this guy's face!

So the other day I'm cleaning fish tanks and there is this dude checking out the cichlids. I ask him if I can help him and he tells me that he is looking for some cichlids to add to his tank. To help him figure out what's compatible, I ask him what he's got in his tank already.

"I've got a bunch of wild caught mbuna cichlids," he says. So I'm like, "Man, that's sweet! Who did you order them from?" I figured he'd gotten them from one of the big names that sell the wild caught stuff. You gotta understand, I live in Idaho. Not many people are into fish here, much less have fish straight outta africa so I was pretty impressed.

So he tells me "I didn't order them I caught them myself." I'm thinkin no kidding really??? Then he says, "Ya go catch some yourself! there's some hot springs a couple hours north with all sorts of convicts and mbuna and other cichlids!"

HAHAHAHAHA this guy was dead serious too, all psyched cuz he had "wild caught" fish! It is lame cuz there are a lot of hot springs in the area that people have released cichlids into, but ya I thought this was way funny.

Hope someone else gets a laugh about this!

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
thats wild lol I can't believe people would release non native species into the water, what are they thinking... they destroy nature by doing that!

Wimmels

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holland
www.wimmels.com
Well I am not American, but I would rather cry than laugh about it.

If you know what a non indiginous specie can do to the natural environment, then this is absolutely no laughing matter. Furthermore the aquarium trade/hobby will get a lot of trouble about this in the future.

Think of more laws prohibiting keeping animals that are non native etc.

badger126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Idaho
Ya it's kinda sad in a way, but I guess it doesn't bother me too much. Don't yell at me! I do know the impact that a non native species can have in an ecosystem, I live in an area that is all about nature. I live right next to yellowstone and they've had huge problems in yellowstone lake since someone released brown trout there- eatin all the other natives. But in most of these hot springs there were no native species of fish and the cichlids won't survive more than 100yds downstream from the actual spring when winter hits.
There's one hot spring in particular here called Indian springs, it's got a swimming pool built over it with the hot water continuing downstream into an RV park/campground. I remember going there as a kid with a small fishhook and catching all sorts of tropicals and it was a blast. So maybe it's just the fond memories, but no harm done imo. Correct me if I'm wrong. I do agree about the damage it could do to the aquarium hobby though.
----Back on track ---- I laugh every time I think about this guy lol

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
badger126;3475757; said:
Not many people are into fish here, much less have fish straight outta africa so I was pretty impressed.
I could find a few for you. There's probably more people there into fish than you think.

badger126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Idaho
Find some! How would you go about that? I need to find some people in the area that share the fish love!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store