Cynotilapia afra Chewere vs. Pseudotropheus elongatus Chewere

badger126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Idaho
I'm hoping that someone can give me a good species profile on these. They look very similar and I like them both, but here's my situation. I'm going to put in an order for one and I need to decide. When ordering I can't specify between males or females. I know in the pseudotropheus species the male is the only one with the striking color, is this true for the Cynotilapia species as well? Is the temperament comparable between species? I'm thinking of putting some of these together with some Altolamp. Comps, would these two species get along? Thanks for any help.

badger126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Idaho
So both of these fish are considered mbuna right? I thought that the Altolamp. comp was a decently aggressive fish and it gets to about the same size if not a little bigger than the elongatus and the afra? how would the comp do with convicts? I know a general rule is not to have New World with Africans, but if all else fails i'll get rid of the cons or move them to a 29 for breeding feeders. I really like the comps and calvus, but I'd like some good color with them. Any suggestions? I'm planning on keeping bichirs with them as well.
Thanks for the advice Mike, just looking for some guidance in stocking some less common species so any other advice feel free to throw down!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store