The Nitrogen Cycle!!

Hawaiianfishkee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Hawaii
There are millions, if not billions of people that enjoy fish keeping as a hobby. Many of them mastered the art and can tell you that owning and maintaining an aquarium is cake.. What is there to know right?
Fill the tank, run a filter, and throw the fish in.. Sounds right, right? WRONG!
The key to running an awesome aquarium boils down to a few things that you must understand. Failure to do so will be the main contributing factor of your fish becoming ill or in most cases, dying.
Remember i am learning just as must as you are as i am writing this thread, so read up as i write on.

THE NITROGEN CYCLE
Many call it nitrification, startup cycle, break-in cycle, biological cycle, or cycling.
Whatever you call it, there are some key elements that you must know-

Why must you cycle the tank?

-When you cycle your aquarium you allow colonies of bacteria to form in the filter, whether it be bio-wheels, bio-balls, ceramic rings, dish scrubbers, etc..

Bacteria!? Who wants bacteria!? I thought bacteria was bad!

-There are certain types of bacteria that are benificial to the aquarium. They are called benificial bacteria and are comprised of different types of nitrofers. They help break down harmful elements into less harmful elements.

So how do you start this cycle?

-In order to start this cycling process you must have fish in the aquarium, or you must artificially add ammonia.
-Fish feces, urine, as well as any uneaten food, are quickly broken down into either ionized or unionized ammonia.
-Ionized Ammonium, Ammonium (NH4), pH below 7 (ok)
-Unionized Ammonia, Ammonia (NH3), pH above 7 (not ok, TOXIC!!)
-Ammonia usually starts rising after the 3rd day of adding fish

So how do i get rid of ammonia!?
They do it for you!

-Nitrosomonas bacteria oxidize the ammonia and break it down into nitrite.
-Good news- the ammonia is eliminated
-Bad news- you now hove nitrite in your aquarium
-Nitrite levels as low as 1 mg/l can be lethal to some fish.
-Nitrite usually begins rising by the end of the first week after introducing fish.

So how do i get rid of Nitrites?
They do it for you!

-Nitrobacter bacteria convert the nitrites into nitrates.
-Nitrates arent as harmful in moderate amounts.

Now you must do your part!
*Check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels on a weekly basis.
*Do partial water changes to keep the harmful elements in check.
*There are other ways to manage your nitrigen cycle with out losing your beloved fish.

<all information was retrieved from about.com "Freshaqaurium:The nitrogen cycle"
<Thankyou bderick67, and JakeH for the tough love.. i did some research.:naughty:

Feel free to add or specify...

Reel Addiction

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
Maryland
Thanks for the info, its always nice to read some info from others

T@nkbuster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Brunei
Is checking for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates weekly a good regime? What other intervals are other 'keepers doing?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Nice effort on the write up :thumbsup:

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It's a nice overview...

Just to mention... There are many species of bacteria that are classified as "Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria" commonly referred to as AOBs... Nitrosomona is one of several (I've read there are 3, adn I've rezad there are 5) Genus with each Genus having at least a couple species in it. So saying Nitrosomona is both vague and a bit of an assumption... Saying AOBs is more accurate...

The same is true about Nitrobacter. I believe there are two Genus that are NOBs (Nitrite Oxidizing Bateria) but again each Genus has multiple species within it...

Just to mention, Nitrate oxidizing bacteria is not commonly referred to as NOBs, so it is safe (and common) to refer to Nitrite Oxidizing Bacteria as NOBs...

I personally hope these terms of AOBs and NOBs catch on... as they are both accurate and simple... they are also easily used as a beginning point to do further research (these are not terms I'm trying to coin, they are terms commonly used in scientific communities)...

Not criticizing... just mentioning :thumbsup:

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
Not to steal your thunder but that isn't "news" to most of us here. You seem to have posted it like it was something you just found out today and had to let everyone on here know about it.

That aside, good.

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
Nice write up.:thumbsup: If someone would have told me more about benificial bacteria back in the day,(many many moons ago), when I was a newbie, I wouldn't have had to learn for myself the hard way.
MFK wasn't born yet.

Hawaiianfishkee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Hawaii
SteveR;3665016; said:
Not to steal your thunder but that isn't "news" to most of us here. You seem to have posted it like it was something you just found out today and had to let everyone on here know about it.

That aside, good.
nah... i wrote it because i needed to do some research.... and why not help others at the same time?

and of course for those who can add on or explain more deeply

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store