Anyone use actinic bulbs on their AC tanks

JoeBel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
USA
www.JoeBeleznay.com
I'm thinking of going with a "low light" kinda feel to my 55g AC tank. My light fixture is a basic Coralife Aqualight 48" Single with two 21" bulbs (one on each side). I've had the 50/50's in there since I got it, but am thinking of going either with the 55w or 65w Coralife actinic bulbs.

Any suggestions/opinions, I know it will be worlds darker than the 50/50 but I thought it might look kinda cool. I'm also wondering if I should go with the 65w over the 55w, but thinking it's negligible. I have heard some say that actinic increases algae growth so can't decide if I should go with the lower wattage due to that, but would also want it not too look like a black cave either.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I had a four foot single actinic on my 75 gal African mbuna setup. I had it for about 4 months and changed it for the following reasons:
The tank looked too dark
It wasn't pleasant to look at after a while as EVERYTHING looks blue
The fish's colors looked faded

In my opinion nice bright white daylight bulbs enhance the fish's colors and give a more natural clean lake look to the tank.

HypeMan808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Hawaii
Yep, I had it on my 90 gal for a couple months and changed it out also. I didn't like it..
I found to like the brighter look instead, and it made my fishes look like they lost their color..

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
I have 2 double bulb fixtures with mid-water white (15,000k [crisp white-blue]) and deep water (20,000k [blue]) bulbs in each. I also have a 3rd fixture that has just an actinic blue bulb in it that I use for a "night light". When it gets dark outside, I turn off my main fixtures and turn on the actinic blue bulb for a little while, until I go to sleep, then I turn them all off. I got the idea from my coral tanks. Hope this helps.

CichlidsRool

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
TUJUNGA,CA.SOCAL.
Aesop;3479269; said:
I have 2 double bulb fixtures with mid-water white (15,000k [crisp white-blue]) and deep water (20,000k [blue]) bulbs in each. I also have a 3rd fixture that has just an actinic blue bulb in it that I use for a "night light". When it gets dark outside, I turn off my main fixtures and turn on the actinic blue bulb for a little while, until I go to sleep, then I turn them all off. I got the idea from my coral tanks. Hope this helps.
how romantic i wish i was your fish....:D unfortunately i dont have my fish tanks in my room,JUST THE WIFE!!!!:ROFL:

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
Haha. I have a fiance I've lived with for 6 years now. Have to keep my tanks "pretty" for them to be in the bedroom...haha! We don't have a TV though, we just lay in bed and watch the tanks. I've made a fish-nerd out of her...it's been hard work!

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.
CichlidsRool;3479448; said:
how romantic i wish i was your fish....:D unfortunately i dont have my fish tanks in my room,JUST THE WIFE!!!!:ROFL:
Too funny....fish tanks are outlawed in the bedroom per the wife. I'd rather have a tank over a TV any day!

JoeBel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
USA
www.JoeBeleznay.com
Thanks for the advice/suggestions everyone! I wish I had a double strip aqualight but since I have the single I can't really mix & match the bulbs, unless I want the right and left sides of the tank lit differently. I wish they made 21" strips that had combo bulbs (since there are two bulbs in each strip), maybe they do, anyone know?

Seems like these are my options: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?acatid=287&aid=1344

Even though your advice seems to point to it being too dark/blue, I may just have to give it a try. Sometimes you get to that point where you just want to change things around and you like them better initially because they're different.

I'll update with pics when I get the bulbs.

Joe

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
I wouldn't go two different colors on each side, you'll end up not liking it in the long run. Every time one of my bulbs burns out I swap in a spare t5 that I have that's slightly more purple. I always think "I'll just leave it that way, it's cool" due to money, but I end up changing it out pretty fast to the same colors...haha.

With a 1 bulb setup you may want to look at the 15,000k white bulbs. They're a "softer" white than 10,000k which is more of a "warm" white. Think white with a tint of blue, but the blue is barely noticeable to the human eye. It'll highlight fish color though. (if your fish are green-blues)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store