Indoor Pond for Gator Gar

m245

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
In the tank
I will build an indoor pond for my gartor gar. I can only build a small one because of space issue. What is the minimum size pond for a gator gar?

gr8fulfan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Well, if it's a true gator gar that thing can get to be 8 or 10 feet in the wild. So, it's going to have to be a HUGE pond. I would assume at least 20'X20'. Good luck man.

PS- You may want to consider a Florida or maybe a Cuban gar, as they do not get as big. They both tend to stick around 3' long in optimal conditions. I've got a Florida, and I just love the lazy dude.

m245

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
In the tank
A 20'x20' indoor pond is out of the question for me. The best I can do is a 6'x6' indoor pond. Should I give up keeping the gartor gar at this point or should I go for a 6'x6' pond?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
a gator in the hobby can get about 5' in optimum conditions. a 6' by 6' would last a long time but eventually u would need to upgrade. so a 6' by 6' would be good to use.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
6x6 will last a small(1ft?) gator roughly 2-4years till it hits 4'. i think 20x20 might be an overkill, but that's not to say a gator gar does not need a large enclosure. all in all, if you cant go up to say(in my unprofessional experience and observation), 10x6, i'd highly suggest against attempting to house a gator gar for life. a better option perhaps, would be tropical gars, they can almost definately stay in a 6x6 for life, if not for many many years. i would definately not suggest cubans unless you have more experience with gars(frm personal experience). a school of floridas, spotteds(now tht they're available!!!) or trops would be your best bet. good luck and keep us updated!

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
gr8fulfan;3540244; said:
Well, if it's a true gator gar that thing can get to be 8 or 10 feet in the wild. So, it's going to have to be a HUGE pond. I would assume at least 20'X20'. Good luck man.

PS- You may want to consider a Florida or maybe a Cuban gar, as they do not get as big. They both tend to stick around 3' long in optimal conditions. I've got a Florida, and I just love the lazy dude.

I have a Florida of about 8 inches. You're right, they are kind of lazy. Mine loves laying on the bottom of the tank and when he's not doing that, he can be found hovering over a wall of bubbles. They don't do a lot of swimming. But they are cool fish. They are quite peaceful, also.

m245

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2009
In the tank
I eventually decided to put my gator gar in this 5'x6' outdoor fibreglass tank instead of building an indoor pond. I can easily upgrade this tank when my gator gar outgrows it.

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Dude that's perfect for now. I hate when I hear people on here say "that will only work for a few years and then you're screwed so don't do it".
Well, a few years is a long time and things change in that time, so just because you don't have the "ideal" or "long term" solution in place now doesn't mean you have to give up on keeping your fish. As long as you see a place for him in the future.
If you're a 15 year old high school student who is still living at home and won't be earning a decent salary and moving out in the next few year then yeah... get a Florida.
If you know that in the near future (or in the future that goes in sync with the growth rate of a Gator Gar) that you will be able to aquatically provide
the right environment for him, then more power to you and continuing to enjoy the time on earth that you get to share with this magnificent creature. :headbang2

Also, wouldn't mind seeing some updated pics of your fish and I don't think you mentioned how big/old he was right now. That would help in determining how long that setup will house him. Keep up the nice work...

m245;3573205; said:
I eventually decided to put my gator gar in this 5'x6' outdoor fibreglass tank instead of building an indoor pond. I can easily upgrade this tank when my gator gar outgrows it.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
interested in the size of this fish as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store