$200.00 To spend - What to buy?

kcinimod

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
North Carolina
I have a 135g w/2 XP3's for filtration and Normal oceanic lights that came w/the tank when I bought it. Nice stand and canopy. I have 200.00 to spend on something and need some advice..

I've looked at Nova Extreme T5 SLR's - 2 36" ?? Still debating whether or not i'll need em to go all the way across or not. I've seen lights that just fill the middle of the tank and they look fine. but.. I'm not growing any plants, so do I really need new lighting? would it impact my fish (all chiclids) positivel/negatively?

Another filter? Ebay XP5's are within reach or others.. This seems like the best choice at the moment and where i'm leaning to.

New substrate? I really like the look of black sand, but I already have gravel.

In your honest opinions, what do you think? What would you get?

Miguel4u2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
New York
If you are in need of extra filtration, go for a filter but to me it seems like everything is perfect and you just want to waste money.If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I would save the money and add more to upgrade to a bigger tank. Otherwise, get what you NEED.

Mr. Grumpy Gills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
nebraska
i agree with only getting what you need. The extra lighting for the tank is not necessary, it is for viewing the fish if not being used for plants. It would not hinder or help the fish getting a better light. If the filter you have works good, keep what you have. If you want a different look for the tank, a change in substrate would be a good idea. Pocket the rest for a rainy day.

jakezori

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
State College PA
keep the money in a fish fund for emergencies... say a heater goes out or u need fish meds/food etc.

kcinimod

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
North Carolina
If all the UV does is keep the water crystal clear, then i'm not gonna need that.. The 2 Xp's do that just fine. Everyone else, great advice.. Thanks a bunch!

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
Lights will make the fish look a bit better and are useful for better pictures (you can increase shutter speed)

Not worth it just for that though IMO.

Get some interesting fish.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Stock it well, Or buy maintenance items . .

Prime (in bulk its very cheap)
Replacement mechanical media/ pads for your XP3's another great thing to buy in bulk.
Spare parts for your filters should something happen.
Maybe battery operated air pumps in case of power outage

List goes on

Reel Addiction

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
Maryland
UV Sterilizers UV (ultraviolet) Sterilizers are great supplementary devices for both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. Used in conjunction with your primary filtration system, UV sterilizers offer unique benefits from water clarification to effective management of various water-borne microorganisms including free-floating algae.

I second the uv, sounds like your pretty set up now. Do some research on what UV's do, more than just keep water clear.

To add..... another postered recomended this and you said you didnt need it to keep your water clear because your filters are good enough... then why even think about wasting money on a fx5?

Im not bashing I just cant type it any easier way. I have a fx5 so nothing against them either. So you now have 2 votes for a UV. Good luck with whatever you spend your cash on. Some should be for beer lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store