Im thinking about opening a pet store in the distant future, need your help

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
Currently I am a junior in highschool but hey, you need to research. I've kept pretty much all animal legal in NY with very few exceptions and have been successful with almost of of them. I love animals and always want to be around them,so thats why I'm thinking about owning a petshop. I live in a town that has about 8,000 people in it, so my closest petshop is over 1 hour away and they are not the greatest ones either.

Heres what I plan on keeping for animals:

Fish, Ive kept them for almost all my life, both fresh and saltwater(Ive had a sw setup for over two years now)

For freshwater there would be the usual, tetras, gouramis, barbs, and other community fish + goldfish. There would also be the more unusual, datnoids, cichlids(kinda not unusual), motoro stingrays, and a few other oddballs.
The stingrays I would require to have a 180 gallon minimum for purchase.

For saltwater, there would be clowns, cardinalfish , tangs, and other reef fishes. I would also have the more aggressive such as lionfish, pufferfish, triggerfish, cortez stingray, eels, small sized sharks.
The shark and stingray would also need a 180 gallon minimum and the only sw stingray would be the cortez stingray and for sharks, the coral catshark, marble catshark, maybe bamboo.

i dont plan on having those petsmart style fish tank setups, I plan on taking a big wall for fish and building a stand that would hold various sized tanks, probably mostly 20 gallons and up. Each would be drilled and connected together by pvs and a sump with a big pump would supply all the filtration.(Obviously the sw and fw would be not connected to each other.)

This would be my biggest section

I would keep reptiles, though not ones I think shouldnt be kept.

I would keep:
Ball Pythons
Corn Snakes
Kingsnakes
Blue Tongue Skinks
Bearded Dragons
Crested Geckos
Leoperd Geckos
Chameleons
Russian Tortoise
Chinese Dragons
Turtles:I think most get bigger than people think
Mud Turtles
Musk Turtles
Spotted Turtles
Maybe RES(i think they get pretty big)
Maybe some smaller type of softshell turtles

All these turtles stay pretty small around 6".

Ill include Amphibians in this list to
Pakman Frog
Green Tree frog
Poison Dart Frogs(arent poisonous when kept in captivity)
Newts

I would also have various sized crickets along with mealworms.

Small Mammals
hamsters
gerbils
Guniea Pigs(srry spelling)
Rabbits
ferrets
Chinchallas(again spelling)
Rats
Maybe feeder mice(Snakes should be weaned onto frozen mice, better for them)
All will be seperated by sex

Birds:I love birds, but they are also a great responibility

I will carry:
Budgies
Canaries
Zebra finches
love birds
Conures
Senegal parrots
Miniature macaws
Amazons
Goffins Cockatoo
Cockatiels
Maybe african greys
Im not sure about a few of these, I dont think i want to carry any of the big macaws or cockatoos becuase of the huge responsibily they carry.

I might carry a few dogs if I can find a breeder to give me one. I know people say that a good breeder wont give their dogs to petshops buy a select few around here, have dogs and they all come from breeders and have papers to prove.

As for supplies, I wont carry junk. Hey they could go to petsmart and have a informed employer reccomend a crappy protein skimmer and then the person out 60 bucks.
I will only carry supplies that I think is good quality and works well, stuff I have read is good on the many forums I am on, learning.

I will also make caresheets for all the animals I sell, and give one to every person who buys that animal.

Do you think this is a guy idea?

So what do you guys think?

I am thinking about going to college for business and also might go for a biology degree.

What types of licease do I need? Where do I get them?

Have any ideas on where the best place to open one up is?

Anny suggestions, shoot

Thanks

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
hope you have a trust fund.

jchown142

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2009
cornwall
hey,your plan sounds great, the only question I have, is...are you gonna do this for money or values? I live in UK and the pet shops over here will sell anything to anyone for the sake of it , just to make a turn over. If you ask me pet shops(owners who care) should have a baseline questionnaire if someone does not know about the animal, fish, arachnid whatever they are buying then theyt should not be allowed to buy the animal.So basically good luck to you, but if you are in this for love of animals then you have a duty of care,.If there was a petshop in uk that sold on a knowledge of animal basis I would personally drive for miles and be willing to prove myself before being allowed home with the animal

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
its a good idea, but in your town. is their alot of demand for pets

my town has one fish store. no one really goes to it. not a large selection/not good quality.

im still willing to drive one hour, for larger stores and bigger selection.

also i hate stores that have everything. mostly because i hate the smell of mammals.
also if i go to a store that just specialized in fish. they usually have a larger selection

jchown142

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2009
cornwall
hey austin. the little guy is asking for advice from his elders and that is all you can say?? hope you have a trust fund, nice advice you obviously know what you are on about then?

Tuscuttar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Course there are caring pet stores in the UK! I mean i don't know about Cornwall but Newcastle have at least three i can think of that are in it for animals not money.

oswego

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Alabama
Take a lot of Business courses in Jr Coll or College and save your money.

You will need to open one in a larger City though, not enough potential customers where you live.

Get a job in a Pet Store and learn, also it might either confirm your goal or change yoiur mind.

Start small and grow if it works, keep overhead down.

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
I dont plan on opening one is saranac lake, where I live. I plan on either opening one up in plattsburg, pretty big town, currently has 3-4 petshops in it. One is petsmart, another is animal house pet shop(decent petshop been open at least since ive been alive, bridge street aquarium(alright for sw), and one other I've been in once for like 5 min and left(bad). Or I might go to like glens falls and try one.

Im planning on going to college for business, animal management, or biology. I would like to have a backup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store