Official Hystrix I.D. Thread

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Potamotrygon cf. Hystrix (True Hystrix)
(synonyms; Potamotrygon sp. "C", cururu ray.)

Common Names:
Porcupine River Ray, Teacup Ray, Cururu River Ray, "True" Hystrix Stingray.

Distribution: Rio Negro, Brazil

Maximum Size (Disc Width): appx. 14"+
This is considered one of the 3 smallest Freshwater Stingrays.

Juvenile Tank Footprint: 48"x18"

Adult Tank Footprint:
72"x30"

Feeding Habits: P. cf. Hystrix are not finicky eaters.

Info: This ray is very hard to acquire with the recent closure of the Brazilian exportation of freshwater potamotrygon. This species is not to be confused with the false P. Hystrix exported from Peru.

Confusion: Potamotrygon cf. Hystrix is often confused with the original holotype collected from Buenos Aires, Argentina. This is, by science, considered the true "P. Histrix". Fishbase.org shows a very different fish under P. Hystrix, likely the one commonly collected in Peru.

IMG_5358.jpg

P1020649.JPG

P1030391.JPG

P1050598.JPG

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Juvenile female (smaller) and male hystrix.

Juvenile Hystrix.JPG

MaleHysandMarble.jpg

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
My female of approx 9 years old,she has produced pups on 3 seperate occasions,the first time a single pup was produced,the second time two pups were premature due to harassment from the male,they died! happily though her 3rd litter gave me 4 beautiful pups,2 boys and 2 girls....all are doing well.

S1050364.JPG

S1050773.JPG

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Here are my 3. First one is a 4" female, second is a 6" female, and last is a 6.5" male.

4 in  female.JPG

6 in female.JPG

6.5 in male.JPG

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Holly Smokes... I wish I had a Hystrix to ID:cry:

Great looking Rays guys. This is my favorite freaking ray all-time:drool:

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Superlaz;3581902; said:
translation :D

Name scientifically: Potamotrygon histrix or hystrix as it is called new torsoni. The Brazilians call the skate curucuru. In former times the skate was called P.laticeps. Name German: Common Stechrochen Design: Beige with dark-brown Netzmuster also the color can seem easily violet. Color down: White. Can dark points have Tail design: It is in colored with sideways black strips or pyramid samples. On the tail top side the animals have a small thorn row. Tail form: Finely with a relatively large fin seam. Thorns: With a small thorn row to the tail beginning Final size female: 40cm Final size male: 30cm Food: Red mosquito larvae, Crevetten, Spinte Nachzüchten: Possible 1-2Jungtiere General hold back: It is very calm art. you is often entrenched. Socialization: With other skates possible. Also with medium sized Bar possible. Occurrence: Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Peru. Mostly from Brazil from the Rio Negro and their tributaries Water equivalents homeland: Temperature 23,8-32°, pH 6,6 Water equivalents AQ: Temperature 26°, pH 6-8, does not make special demands. Mistake: Marble can be confounded ray only with the P. Import: She is often imported. An animal costs approx. CHF 500. - Attitude: It is art. which can be maintained relatively simply. Personal experience: Yes, however only to the care Particularly: With danger the animals bury themselves immediately. Also they are relatively much hidden. The kind necessarily fine sand. The name is confusing, since the kind among different names in South America is acted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store