Largest Freshwater Fish in Africa?

rockdude

Feeder Fish
Oct 25, 2009
USA
I came here wondering if anyone could help me figure out what fish is the largest freshwater fish on the continent of Africa? I know of the Nile Perch which is one of the largest if not the largest but there seems to be some confusion to whether it is the largest. Alot of people refer to it as the largest freshwater fish accesible to anglers and im not quite sure what that means could any experts explain that to me? But even if the Nile Perch is the largest freshwater in Africa could anyone tell me some other big freshies in Africa? thanks

CODzilla

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2009
UK
It might not be the biggest but the African Tiger Fish has to be one of the coolest!

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
It is the Nile Perch. I think the only larger freshwater fish are the Mekong Stingray, the Pima, the Mekong Catfish, and the Silure (Wels) none of which are found in Africa. Well, there's the Bull Shark, but it's not full freshwater...

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
Bottomfeeder;3564840; said:
It is the Nile Perch. I think the only larger freshwater fish are the Mekong Stingray, the Pima, the Mekong Catfish, and the Silure (Wels) none of which are found in Africa. Well, there's the Bull Shark, but it's not full freshwater...
you might wanna include beluga sturgeon in there as well, unlesswe're talking about 100% FW fish.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Guinness records show a 516 pound Nile Perch being the largest FW fish in Africa. "Accessible to anglers" means that other species that are considered to be large are off-limits to anglers or protected species.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Plec123;3564947; said:
you might wanna include beluga sturgeon in there as well, unlesswe're talking about 100% FW fish.
Yeah but is this fish found in Africa ? I was'nt aware that there were sturgeon on the Dark Continent.

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
krichardson;3565536; said:
Yeah but is this fish found in Africa ? I was'nt aware that there were sturgeon on the Dark Continent.
i thought another post was just listing some of the largest fish in the world (mekong giant cat, etc.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store