Difference In Male and Female Channa Pleuropthalma?

zErOcOoL21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
SINGAPORE
Anybody care to share how to differenciate the male and female channa pleuropthalma when it's young? Thinkin of getting 1, but i'm interested in the male, saw a pic when it's fully grown, absolutely gorgeous!:drool: Don't wanna waste my efforts in bringing up a pleuropthalma, only to find out it's female later on. From what i understand, only the male will have the prominent blue when it's bigger and this species of sh, it's possible to comm them with other fishes. Any thoughts on this?Thanks in advance......

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
i love pleuropthalma but i've never seen them for sale. I've also never heard of only the males having the blue colouration. When i went to the AquaZoo in dusseldorf they had them in a display and there were quite a few of them all had the same colouration and i'm pretty sure there were males and females in there..

zErOcOoL21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
SINGAPORE
yup, indeed it's a beautiful sh, especially the blue colouration. But i was told by the lfs that only the male, will have the more prominent blue. The female too has the blue colour, but it's much more lesser, not as obvious as the male. That's when they get bigger. But when they're young, all of them look the same to me. No difference in colour what so ever. Really puzzled.......

zErOcOoL21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
SINGAPORE
Juz checked snakehead.org, it says that the sexes are very hard to determine. 1 way is, if spotlight is used males will show a strong blue and the females a blue green coloration. Really helpful n useful website. Other than this, anybody else have any other ways or anybody has experience comm this sh?

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
damn dude , channa P's kicks ass!.......:thumbsup:

zErOcOoL21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
SINGAPORE
yup! gonna pick 1 up this weekend. Hope snakehead.org method works on the juveniles too, keepin my fingers crossed. Channa Pleuropthalma Rock!!!!

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
blue snakehead is into Da house!! :woot:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store