Ripariums for Plant Filtration

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Hi All,

This is one of my first posts here. I have been more active on some of the planted aquarium forums. Most of my setups are ripariums and I have grown some cool plants in them. These include some plants of particular botanical interest as well as attractive flowering and foliage specimens.

Here my riparium tank in a 65-gallon tank.

This one has various Echinodorus swords and other plants in the abovewater (emersed) area, and Hygrophila, Nymphaea & other low-tech plants in the underwater (immersed area).

Here is a shot of the fish that I have there.

I really like the Apistogramma a lot, and the tetras make a nice display too.

Most of the riparium setups that I have done have included the common community tropical fish, especially the kinds already popular for traditional planted tanks (tetras, barbs, platies, and others). I have wondered about trying to branch out into some group of fishes that are less commonly used in planted tanks. There are a number of compelling advantages that one might enjoy by keeping fish like cichlids, catfish or various oddballs in ripariums. For one, since most of the plant foliage is abovewater, it would be less susceptible to herbivory or other damage caused by fish. The plants are all supported in hanging or floating planters, so they should be less susceptible to damage caused by digging cichilds. The vigorous growth of the emersed plants should be quite effective as a mechanism of biological filtration. Unlike traditional planted tanks, the emersed riparium plants get all of the carbon that they need from the air, so they do not require CO2 injection to replace the gas as it is taken up by the fully immersed plants.

At any rate, this is an idea that I would like to explore further. I wan to ask around here some more for suggestions for larger and less common fish that might work in riparium setups, since most of my experience has been with smaller community fish.

Here is another new riparium tank that I am just starting to put together, in a 56-gallon Column.

I still haven't put much thought to fish seletion for this one, but I would like to try to include a more unusual cichlid or catfish. I will fill this one to 40% of its depth with water, so it will only have about 20 gallons of water. Does anybody have any suggestions for good fish to use?

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
If you like Apistogramma, then a small group (or pair) of German Blue Rams would look really nice. Also some type of pleco (obviously dwarf) would be nice, like a gold nugget pleco, or something else with a lot of color that will show up among the plants.

I might be wrong, but I think some of the Acara species stay small enough to live in 20g of water. Double check me on that.

A large school of neons/cardinals would look really nice in a tank like that as well.

BTW, that first tank looks awesome!!

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Thanks so much for those suggestions. My 65 already has a bristlenose pleco, and like I said I am hoping to branch out into other things in addition to tetras. Although it could be be cool to find some kind of unusual centerpiece fish, then combine with a shoal of tetras.

Those acara cichlids sound interesting, although I see that the common one, Aequidens pulcher, gets pretty big. Do you know which species in particular stay smaller?

Toxic Fish 9999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2009
WI
now that is MEGA SUPER ASOMENESS yep that sums it up for me

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
A good-sized shoal of cories is another option that comes to mind, although I might be limited to pygmy cories for this small volume of water. I wonder what other very small corie species there might be(?).

I have always like synodontis. Are there any small species that might be workable for 20-30 gallons of water?

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Here is another one of my setups. This one is in a 120-gallon.

This is closer to what I have in mind for this new setup. I want to just have nice gravel and stones in the underwater area, but no plants. I also intend to fill the tank to about 2/3 full, then have a lot of the foliage growing up and out of the top.

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
rip on dude awesome tanks, enjoy the subtle encorporation of flowers

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
hydrophyte;3583909; said:
Here is another one of my setups. This one is in a 120-gallon.

This is closer to what I have in mind for this new setup. I want to just have nice gravel and stones in the underwater area, but no plants. I also intend to fill the tank to about 2/3 full, then have a lot of the foliage growing up and out of the top.
Stunning! I now have a new desktop wallpaper. Also Gold nugget pleco's and rams are fun. :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store