10 1/2" gar!!

fishjude78

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
saint cloud fl
Hi, im new to this site, but I have a 10 1/2" gar and have a 38 gallon tank with a 10" oscar and 5" red devil. But the gar is temporarily in a 10 gallon tank due to agression from the oscar. His snout was bashed by the oscar( this was about two weeks ago) but now he's fine. Should I move him back to the oscar tank or weight til he grows?
thanks, jude.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Welcome. You need a larger tank. 38 gallons isn't enough for just the Oscar or the Red Devil or the Gar in terms of volume or footprint, and these are both aggressive Cichlids, so for both, I'd say you need at least a 6 foot tank. What kind of gar is he? Even if he's just a Florida, he'll grow to two feet or a little less, which means he'll need a 180, at the least, for it's two-foot-wide footprint. I wouldn't add him back until you upgrade, or he's going to get beat up again, but the 10 gallon is an awful place for him, as well. I think you should either find another home for these fish or invest in a much larger system if you plan to keep them all, because even the 38 gallon isn't going to hold even one of these fish anyway.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
As said above, you need a bigger tank. RDs are extremely aggressive, he's gonna end up the only thing in there.

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Dude, just get rid of the red devil. I just looked them up online and they are pretty much lame anways. They aren't that cool looking, they look like a retarded koi and also the fact that I read they are so mean that they only get long with rocks and water makes me mad cause they look like a stupid fish. I think tomorrow I will go to the LFS get one of these so called "Bad-ass" fish and see how he does trying to bully around my Gator Gar :headbang2

I'll post the results and a video after.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
Spatula;3594783; said:
Dude, just get rid of the red devil. I just looked them up online and they are pretty much lame anways. They aren't that cool looking, they look like a retarded koi and also the fact that I read they are so mean that they only get long with rocks and water makes me mad cause they look like a stupid fish. I think tomorrow I will go to the LFS get one of these so called "Bad-ass" fish and see how he does trying to bully around my Gator Gar :headbang2

I'll post the results and a video after.

This is what people call being a troll
:)

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
FSM;3594791; said:
This is what people call being a troll
:)
i agree...it's generally called being stupid by posting useless information as well.

agreed that the OP will need a bigger tank, but if it is a Florida gar you will be fine with a 120g wide, which is a 4' x 2' x 2' tank. this gives you the width of a 180g, but not the length in case you are presently constrained by space (or even cost). FL gars will rarely get up to 24" in captivity, and even getting close to that will take at least a year or two from now given his present size.

as for tankmates, both the oscar and RD should go. if not, then find them a different tank. these cichlids are too aggressive to keep with gars and will likely eventually kill it either by attacking it or spooking the gar into breaking its back.

hope that info helps, good luck--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store