Does this happen to anyone else when you use Seachem Prime?

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
Every time I use Prime I get an asthma attack. I love prime, but I just wonder why it makes me get asthma. Does this happen to anyone else who has asthma?

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
No , no it doesn't . How acute is your asthma ?
If you don't feel comfortable discussing it here go ahead and PM me im worried for you.

Please! Don't do anything to agitate your asthma in the meantime.

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
It's not acute at all really. I rarely ever get it. But prime seems to trigger it automatically. I'm usually fine after a couple pumps of albuterol. I have been wondering why for the last couple of months I have been getting asthma after wc's. I thought maybe my asthma was just getting worst, and all the lifting and moving around was causing it. It finally hit me last night after doing a water change during the day, that it might be the prime. So I inhaled it for about 30 seconds, and sure enough I started getting an attack shortly after. I'll just have to hold my breath from now on when administering it.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I'll just have to hold my breath from now on when administering it.
as a fellow asthma sufferer, stop using it. holding your breath is not the answer. there are many other perfectly good dechlorinators out on the market that won't put you at risk for a potentially severe asthma attack. it may be minor at first, but it may not be later on.

I use AquaPlus by Nutrifin which is a hagen product. great dechlorinator. no odour.

its probably the sulphur compounds in Prime causing the problem.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
My wife has a sulfur allergy and swears that when I use to use it that it would cause hers to flare up.

I made a call to seachem back when this happened and they claimed that there product had no sulfur in it. But the smell says other wise.

i have not used it in about 5yrs. And i don't miss it at all.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I would concur.. Don't use it. It's not worth your health.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store