To use carbon or not to use carbon

psi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
North East MD
I have a couple of 5, 10, and (1) 16 gal tank I am going to order some very expensive guppies (from Adrian HD). I use the Tetra (I think) filters from walmart on all except the 16 gal, which is Fluval U2. All of the Tetra's come with the cartage already with the carbon in them, and I beleve the Fluval has two cartages of carbon in it. I have read and heard that you should not use carbon at all. That it delays the true cycle and is just something you have to keep replacing. Can someone point me in the right direction here. I have done a search on "use carbon" and "do not use carbon" and "use of carbon" and nothing has come up. Can someone please just point me to a link or something, as I am sure this is a basic question.

xxjoshxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2006
Burlington,Ky
when cycling carbon isn't needed just good water movement and aerated unless your adding fish after only a few days then yes you will want carbon and ammonia remover

all depends on what u want

Carbon removes stuff your dechlor doesn't like metals and helps keep the water clear by absorbing the impurity's

psi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
North East MD
Actually I think they are the wisper filters. I just read these filters are meant to be used with a under gravel filter. Is this true? If so what should I replace them with? Fluval U2 series?

bgcoop8784

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Augusta GA
Honestly, the whisper filters aren't great at all, but if you do want to replace them the aqua clears HOB filters work great. If you decide to use the whisper filters, go and buy a roll of filter pad/ filter floss and just cut it to size and it will save you a lot of money, and it normally lasts much longer. Just rinse it in tank water once a month or so.

JakeH

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2009
Houston, TX
Ditch the Whisper/walmart/weaksauce filters & go buy an AquaClear HOB (biggest you can fit/afford) for each tank. You won't regret it. You will also want a big bag of filter floss($3) & a few media bags($.89 each).

I only run carbon for week or so each month. It only lasts a few days anyways. A healthy tank won't have much for the carbon to filter out unless your tap water is crap.EDIT or if you just finished medicating the tank...

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I have only run carbon once. I only ran it because I was removing meds.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I haven't used it in a while, and when I have it is for the same reason as the above poster, to remove meds

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
If the tanks are planted, carbon ime is useless or works against you. If your useing it in a high bio-load tank. Like a qt tank for feeders. It can be very useful. personally I like Marinelands Penguin filters, I take the original cartride since it's plastic and cut the filterfloss,carbon off, and stuff a bunch of floss in the chamber between the plastic peice and the back of the filter. and rinse it out good once a week and toss the floss 'n use more (technically it's batting used in sewing, untreated! chem free!)... I'de do abit of research on a few brands, and find one that you like. everyone has their pros/cons. and everyone is likely to reccomend a different filter brand. But i think many will agree the whispers are pretty much junk.

psi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
North East MD
How about the fuval U2s in tank filters. I have one and really like it. I just took the carbon pieces out. Let me know what you think about them.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
psi3000;3599172; said:
How about the fuval U2s in tank filters. I have one and really like it. I just took the carbon pieces out. Let me know what you think about them.
as far as small filters, i think the vast majority of us on MFK will say go with the aquaclear series. their the best small filters on the market, and have been being made for ages now, without any modifications. its the best thing you can get next to a cannister filter, since it basically works in the same way, and you have the option to use most anything in its filter basket as media

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store