Tripping out on Silver Dollars

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
The natural reflection on their scales sometimes looks like an Ick spot at a certain angles. To me at least. Are these false alarms going to get better as they get bigger?

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
I've kept large silvers in the past(hmmm simpler times:)) and yes they do look like they have been coated in strange stuff at weird angles, nothing to be worried about but a picture would help for sure.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
BTW the last time I looked for a decent shot of that tank it took me ages to find and then I posted it in the wrong section and it got delete and now I'm looking for it again:ROFL:

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
As they get older, especially if you keep them with other SDs, which, obviously, you should, they start looking a little beat up. Not bad, but just obviously an older fish. There might be a place where a fin nip went a little too far, a scale or two missing on the head where they've run into things in their frenzy to swim away, etc. I would provide a photo just to be sure if you think it could be ich (any new additions? Any flashing or heavy breathing?) but otherwise, what you're seeing is pretty normal, IMO.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Cool, thanks for the replies. Its good to know that I'm not the only one who has a mini-panic every time I see it.

I have no pictures of it tho, sorry. My POS radio shack camera would never show detail that small anyway. I need a new camera.

Cichla dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
Springfield MA
www.facebook.com
the silver dollars are probably fine... some ones have spots like that!
-Alex

BPags52

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
I wouldn't worry too much. I noticed the same thing on my dollars a couple months ago, pretty sure its just damaged scales/minor injury from spooking and running into something.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
through some of my reading on fish I swear that I read that silver dollars will rarely ever get ick.

BPags52

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
uncwnells;3598184; said:
through some of my reading on fish I swear that I read that silver dollars will rarely ever get ick.
My common silver dollars broke out in ich pretty bad about 24-48 hours after I brought them home in late February.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
BPags52;3598152; said:
I wouldn't worry too much. I noticed the same thing on my dollars a couple months ago, pretty sure its just damaged scales/minor injury from spooking and running into something.

Yeah, I think this is exactly what it is... just a few scales reflecting differently from the rest for whatever reason. But dang, it sure looks like early ick manifestation. As soon as the angle changes it disappears.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store