Riparium in 40 Breeder: Help me select fish.

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Hi All, I am a new member. I have really been impressed with all of the amazing tanks and fish and depth of knowledge around here. Unfortunately, I don't have the floor space or budget to keep these giant fish, but I like fish a lot. I have a particular interest in planted tanks.

I am working on a new setup and looking for more input on fish selection. Most of my tanks are riparium setups, so they are only partially filled with water and with space for the emersed growth of plants. Here is a shot from a while back of my 65-gallon riparium

Here are most of the fish that I have in there. They are mostly just standard community tropical fare, although the Apistogramma are really fun to watch. I like all of these fish.

For this new tank idea I want to also do a riparium, but fill the tank most of the way to the top and leave the plants growing up above the rim. I think that this will provide a nice view of the top of the water and evoke the same kind of felling that you get from a garden pond. Like I said, I hope to take some time to select some more unusual fish that will be the main focus of the display. I already raised this point over in this other thread.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282524

So that the plants and water and aquascape will scale well with each other, I am planning to use a shorter tank, probably a 40 Breeder. I hope that I can get away with removing the top rim of a standard Aqueon 40 Breeder because that shape is short and I will leave several inches empty at the top. So I will have about 30 gallons of water volume to work with.

I have a few fish ideas in mind already, but this post has gotten to be long. So I wonder if I can just get any ideas for a single species or maybe combination of two that could work well as a combination for this short, wide-footprint, riparium setup in about 30 gallons of water(?).

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
pair of dwarf pikes

or maybe an african butterfly fish and some ctenopomas

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Those are good ideas. The butterflyfish had occurred to me. I think that would be a good one because they offer a good view from above. Ctenopomas are another intriguing idea.

Do you think the butterflyfish would get along OK with lampeye killies?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I think I would go one or the other.. butterfly fish can get fairly respectable in the 4"-6" range.. and one that size can eat adult guppies. have you considered dwarf rainbows? they stay fairly small but deffinately have a different shape then tetras do. threadfin rainbows also come to mind. both of these fish really pop some color in planted tanks ime. and I'll second the dwarf pikes. Cten's ime are neat looking but fairly dull inhabitents, though I've only seen them at work and never brought any home. 30g's would be a large enough for a pair of most of your small cichlid species as well.

Though w/ how nice your set-ups are... I'de do a handful of Endlers if I could get my hands on them. and some cherry shrimp to give it that "outdoor pond" feel. might even toss a few dwarf clawed frogs into the mix. You'de get some predation of baby shrimp, and endlers but should balance out well if done right.

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Thanks so much for those ideas. Rainbows have come to mind and I have a good source for some unusual ones from recent collections with collection data.

I was reading about ctenops some more and I don't think that this setup will have enough room for one. It will only be about 30 gallons of water.

I wonder about some kind of bottom-dweller too as the main focal point. I want to have an open and unplanted foreground for the underwater part and include some nice rocks and sand, so I think that there should be a good deal of space for a shoal of cories, or loaches or something like that.

bunnyhunter42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Virginia
would a small species eel or bichir work in the bottom of the tank?

bunnyhunter42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Virginia
Polypterus senegalusonly get about 12" fully grown if that is small enough for your needs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store