can not wait to get 210GALLON!!!

motomikey

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2009
Lemoore, CA
I am located in washington and about to move to cali can anyone tell me the best and most afordable way to move my fish. My biggest is a 20 inch arowana!!

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
motomikey;3601553; said:
I am located in washington and about to move to cali can anyone tell me the best and most afordable way to move my fish. My biggest is a 20 inch arowana!!
I dobt u can transport that fish by road.. if ur serious.. do it by plane.. a 20" on the road is far too long..

Especially from washington to cali... Start selling it..

takinap

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Lou
Im not sure that is good advice at all, plenty of people move big fish all the time. Get a large rubbermaid, a power inverter (they make them to be hardwired or to run in cigarette outlet I prefer hardwire can handle much more load) and air stone/filter/heater and you are set. The totes are literally 4 dollars at walmart I think for a 22 gallon or so size. Doesnt sound that hard to me.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
I know you probably don't know this,... not trying to be rude at all... You should look up at the top right-hand corner of your screen, and click where it says "forums." Then, find the forum which best fits the thread topic (this should probably be "General Aquaria Discussion Forum") and post there. I just wanted to mention it because it seems like you keep posting in introductions and I figured you didn't know.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
takinap;3601760; said:
Im not sure that is good advice at all, plenty of people move big fish all the time. Get a large rubbermaid, a power inverter (they make them to be hardwired or to run in cigarette outlet I prefer hardwire can handle much more load) and air stone/filter/heater and you are set. The totes are literally 4 dollars at walmart I think for a 22 gallon or so size. Doesnt sound that hard to me.
This is the wrong way to move large Aros. They thrash themselves to death. I learned this the hard way. The sounds of that fish banging on the top of the bin were heart-wrenching. When we got him home, he lived for a few weeks, never ate, and died.

Triple-bagging him would be a better bet. A power inverter and air pump is a good idea, though.

Edit: Here's a link that should help:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8303

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
justonemoretank;3604089; said:
This is the wrong way to move large Aros. They thrash themselves to death. I learned this the hard way. The sounds of that fish banging on the top of the bin were heart-wrenching. When we got him home, he lived for a few weeks, never ate, and died.

Triple-bagging him would be a better bet. A power inverter and air pump is a good idea, though.

Edit: Here's a link that should help:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8303
:iagree:

Your talking about from Washington State to California... A large bucket with an arowana is good for short distance..

But stresses the fish out.. it can kill it! Its WINTER soon.. even in the fall temperature from Washington. I just check the temperature in Washington.. and its probably upper 50s lower 40s . ur taking in the the temperature in the consideration.... there are no portable heater units.. and a cigarette lighter inverter... u know how expensive those things are??? not cheap.. U have to take into the car battery into consideration, ur using more gas using the inverter..

A portable airstone units is a good idea... but arowana are surface breathers.. they can breath from the surface of the water...
Bagging it would be a mistake if taking it on the road.. ur at risk of the fish using all the air...

Then theres the risk of the arowana jumping.. I've transported a 12" arowana in a large bucket from a friends tank to my tank for 3 hours.. and that was stressful.. I had to wrap it to make sure the fish didnt jump..

Its far too risky.. i would just to a Fedex overnight transportation.. Then the owner personally fly down to Cali. and weight for the fish.. at least THATs safer...

Please seriously reconsider about transporting the fish in a large bucket... :(

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
How does Washington State to California take 4 days?

I did not say he should use a bucket or a tub; I recommended triple-bagging and transporting.

Power inverters usually cost less than fifty dollars -- We've got a black and decker one we've used to transport many a fish that was about thirty.

If the Aro is in a bag, he can't jump out.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
justonemoretank;3604130; said:
How does Washington State to California take 4 days?

I did not say he should use a bucket or a tub; I recommended triple-bagging and transporting.

Power inverters usually cost less than fifty dollars -- We've got a black and decker one we've used to transport many a fish that was about thirty.

If the Aro is in a bag, he can't jump out.
Opps.. HUGE MISTAKE! . sorry.. ya.. its not 4 days.. i was thinking Canada.. i drove to Canada once 4 days from where i live...
(Its 17 hours fastest non stop Using the 5fwy. from settle to Cali.)
MY BAD!

The bag idea is good.. but just make sure theres enough air.. otherwise it will use up the air during the 17 hours drive.. or an airstone is good.. But the issue is still very much the heater.. u can use heat packs.. which is good for Fedex transport.. Or u can put heat backs around a bucket while the arowana is in the bag... I just dont think transporting it yourself with a big fish is a good idea..

Unless its express overnight. and ur driving nonstop.. either way. its risky business...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store