Cleaning tank glass with windex???

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Is it possible for me to clean the outside of my tank with windex. Its got streaks? Idk how but i just dont want it to get inside the tank. And kill the fish. What do you guys think??

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
What shld i clean it with then...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You can clean the glass with white vinegar.

If you feel you must clean the glass with windex, always spray the cleanser on the wiping cloth (pointing away from the tank). Don't spray the tank. And, be careful on where you put the wiping cloth down. The cleanser can still harm your fish if the cleaning cloth dips into the tank. Never clean the inside glass pieces including above the waterline and the underside of the glass covers.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
white vinegar.. no joke.. or spray the windex on a rag/towel in another room/away from tank and wipe w/ rag. White vinegar ime works just as well as windex if not better.. and you can pretty much dump it into your tank w/out harm ( Not that I would intentionally do it!) I've been useing it for years, works well to get the white residue that builds up on filters as well. any steaks left by vinegar are easily buffed out w/ your rag.

EDIT! Oddball beat me too it! lol

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
ok thnx imma try it when i do wc today

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
I've always used windex, I just don't spray it directly on the tank. I spray it on the rag. I also recently purchased a product made by API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals). It's called Safe & Easy Spray. It's safe for use on the inside and outside of glass or acrylic tanks. I got it from petsmart because I had just purchased my previously-owned 125, gallon which had a lot of build up on it. The product works well, and comes in a nice spray bottle. The only problem is that it cost money, compared to vinegar, which is very cheap. After I run out of this product, I'll probably fill the nice, little spray bottle with vinegar. What can I say? I'm a penny pincher.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I often use windex to clean my aquarium glass. You just got to use a little common sense as to where your spraying it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store