Moving out of country

LRM

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
RI USA/Brisbane AUS
I'll be moving out of country in July to Australia from the US. Is it possible to have some of my more prized fish shipped to me after I'm settled in or will this be a big problem with Australian Customs? I'm looking to bring my Synodontis spp. and a couple P. enlicheri once I' ve settled into my new home.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Not that i ever moved any pets to Australia when i was living there, but i do remember they have some amazingly strict custom laws when it comes to anything live...

Best bet is to check if your even allowed to bring them in first, since they may consider it a evasive species...

LRM

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
RI USA/Brisbane AUS
Yea, Australian customs is pretty insane. Thanks for your response. I'll give it a look.

south coast nelly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Again not sure, australian customs are very strict indeed, i knew of a lady from brazil who was made to pay a fine for trying to take a beaded necklace made from seads into the country, very stict but trying to preserve there countrys plants and wildlife...

I to am emigrating but to south america,i have some prize fish i would love to take with me,but have to realise although they cost me abit,think have them shipped and quarantied would out way taking them with me, anyhow sure you would fine something there to tickle your fancy, good luck with the move bud

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I can't see you'd be allowed to, I can't think of a country with stricter import laws.

warby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I *think* the fish mentioned are both on the allowable import lists (I may be wrong tho, someone please correct me if that is the case) so they could come into the country.. but you would need to organise quarantine at an approved facility here, which will likely be expensive.

It's doable, but is it worth it? It will be a very expensive experience.. Synodontis are readily available here (not all sp. though are common... so if yours is on the rare side it may be hard to find) and Bichirs are also available (but MUCH more expensive than over there.. looking at AUD$500+ for an endlicheri I believe...)

If it were me, I'd look into the cost to get the bichir shipped, quarantined, etc here and if it's less than $500 go for it but replace the synodontis.

That's my 2c anyway...

-Dave

LRM

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
RI USA/Brisbane AUS
warby;3612339; said:
I *think* the fish mentioned are both on the allowable import lists (I may be wrong tho, someone please correct me if that is the case) so they could come into the country.. but you would need to organise quarantine at an approved facility here, which will likely be expensive.

It's doable, but is it worth it? It will be a very expensive experience.. Synodontis are readily available here (not all sp. though are common... so if yours is on the rare side it may be hard to find) and Bichirs are also available (but MUCH more expensive than over there.. looking at AUD$500+ for an endlicheri I believe...)

If it were me, I'd look into the cost to get the bichir shipped, quarantined, etc here and if it's less than $500 go for it but replace the synodontis.

That's my 2c anyway...

-Dave
That was very helpful Dave, I'll do just that. I'll be living in Brisbane so I think I'll start by figuring out where the nearest importer is and seeing what I can do. I can't imagine paying 500AUD for an endli, that would be devastating to me financially. If worst comes to worst I'll just become a big fan of Aussie native fish. And I don't think that would be all bad at all.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Damn straight LRM! The Oz has some awesome fish...

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
~ocean;3614229; said:
^ oh yeah... escpecially SW!!!

~ocean
jar>reef type fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com