Thinking about another rescue

bgcoop8784

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Augusta GA
OK.. Here's a RTC at my lfs shoved in a lil bowfront aquarium, fish measures about 22", he came out of a 60 gallon tank that the owner said he was "growing out of", he's been in the store about a month and i'm tired of seeing him in the lil tank all crammed up not even able to turn around and touching front and back, owner said if i want he's mine to take because the can't get rid of him and no where to put him, only problem is the biggest tank i have spare right now is a 150gal and it'll be may before i can even think about completing a 1000+ gallon aquarium for him. Any opinions or ideas?

img049.jpg

img050.jpg

Krawnik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2009
Massachusetts
Beautiful fish. Poor thing.

I recommend against a pity pick up though. If you can house it, awesome. Otherwise you'll just have his well being on your conscious.

bgcoop8784

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Augusta GA
not really so much pity, planned on getting one next year anyway, just hate getting anything without having a tank ready, never know what may happen in the months to come, either way, he's not going to do good where he is, and my spare 150 is better, but not for long, he's already too big for even the 150, i dunno, just asking for opinions.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
if you can build a large pond/tank in the coming months, without a single solitary doubt, then go for it. a 150 is better than what he is in, or what almost everyone else that goes into a LFS can provide.

however, if you have a tiny bit of doubt, dont do it. then your going to be stuck with a still growing monster, in a tank thats 1/10 of what he should be in.

urboyjay682

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2009
nashville
i say do it a 150 would be fine for him....he will grow slow from now on if hes 22 already....trust me he will be happy as hell.

BigJ

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Ohio
That's cool man, Do it he'll be in a better home regarless. Please post pic's when you get him home. GL!!

dkpate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
WA State
I am a sucker for sad/neglected animals, and I think he would be MUCH happier with you too! I say take him home. Who knows, you might befriend someone who would be able to take him, or maybe an aquarium. Besides, good excuse to get a bigger tank lol!

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
you are probably the fishes best chance at a decent life.If the odds are good you could build it a pond,its worth considering.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store