nautilus

batlily

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
california
does anyone know the max temp a nautilus can be kept at? even though it isn;t what is recommended ii kept a couple at about 75 for about 6 months, (i know they come up to shallower warmer water to feed so i hoped they could handle slightly warmer water than the recommended cooler temp), and they actually did really really well until i lost them due to equipment failure. so i don;t know how they would have done in the longer run otherwise and i didn;t have them in the warmer months...the worry is that my tanks can get up to 80 degrees in the summer, can they handle that for brief periods of time or do i need to save up for a chiller?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Posted by atlantic reefer at reefaquariumguide:

Nautilus Care
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Minimum Tank Size: For small Nautilus (1"-3") ->10 gallon. Any other size 4" & up -> at least a 20 gallon minimum.
Maximum Size: 6 -> 8 inches
Temperature: Keep a temperature of about 68 degrees. No Heater Needed
Substrate: The tank is sand bottom with little live rock for easy cleaning.
Lighting: The lighting consists of 1 actinic blue bulb. NO BRIGHT LIGHTS!
Feeding: They should be fed 3 times a week with cut up king crab legs, and whole shrimp. Every 3rd feeding or so leave the shell on the food. Keep several live ghost shrimp in the tank for it to eat when it feels.
Tank Depth: As far as the concerns of depth, Nautilus can be kept in shallow tanks. At least 1 foot in depth.

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
OMG u can keep these???? WOW.
how much are they?

(not that i will get any lol i doubt i could come across them easily here)

batlily

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
california
oh yeah, theres nothing hard about them except i just don;t know if you can keep them above 74-75 degrees and need to run a chiller if it gets above that. but mine did great, no problem feeding them, they would come and take pieces of shrimp right out of my hand...until the pump running my skimmer died and the poor things suffocated...

batlily

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
california
they are hard to find, and there is a "season" for them that happens to be now...around here they run about $100-130

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Vicious_Fish;3616644; said:
They're really neat creatures but I've never seen one offered for sale around me. :(
I have'nt seen one in more than ten years.I think they are up there with the octopus as the coolest aquatic pets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store