Maybe a stupid question...

Wulfonce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ontario
This might be a stupid question but what is meant by a fish colony?
(eg. frontosa colony)

Does "colony" just refer to them being sold as a group or does it mean more then that?

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
Wulfonce;3617194; said:
This might be a stupid question but what is meant by a fish colony?
(eg. frontosa colony)

Does "colony" just refer to them being sold as a group or does it mean more then that?

it means the kingdom of frontosa is extending its empirial rule to your fish tank.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
coeus;3617285; said:
it means the kingdom of frontosa is extending its empirial rule to your fish tank.
It took a lil bit but i got it lol:ROFL:

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
in my head it means a breading colony for fish that breed in harems (one male to multiple females.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Good answer Austin... though some species have multiple males to one female...

For example... Red Hump Geos can be kept as a pair... as a trio... or as a colony...

A pair is self explanatory, a trio is 1 male and 2 females, a colony would be 2+ males & 3+ females...

Also, within a Colony there are likely various roles for each gender... I've kept a couple of species of "harem breeding" Cichlids as colonies. Watching them juggle the social roles is very interesting.

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
nc_nutcase;3617374; said:
Good answer Austin... though some species have multiple males to one female...

For example... Red Hump Geos can be kept as a pair... as a trio... or as a colony...

A pair is self explanatory, a trio is 1 male and 2 females, a colony would be 2+ males & 3+ females...

Also, within a Colony there are likely various roles for each gender... I've kept a couple of species of "harem breeding" Cichlids as colonies. Watching them juggle the social roles is very interesting.
agreed. forgot to mention about multiple males, strep throat is kicking my ass

Wulfonce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ontario
Thanks for the info. My lfs is selling a colony of 6 frontosa for $300. More then I'm willing to pay but I'd consider buying them at $200. I've been in the store several times and have never seen fry in that tank or any evidence of any breeding. Can it be assumed that they do breed if their been sold as a "colony"? I'd hate to buy them and find out later that they don't breed. That would defeat the whole point of buying them in the first place.

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
i saw a thread you made before where you mentioned this and the size of the fish, and i feel like someone said they werent up to breeding size yet

i dont really know anything about frontosas but thats what i remember from that thread (the cichlid breeding room i think)

Wulfonce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ontario
coeus;3617434; said:
i saw a thread you made before where you mentioned this and the size of the fish, and i feel like someone said they werent up to breeding size yet

i dont really know anything about frontosas but thats what i remember from that thread (the cichlid breeding room i think)

Ah yes. I keep forgetting to ask.

Does anyone know at what size frontosa will start to breed?

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Wulfonce;3617408; said:
Thanks for the info. My lfs is selling a colony of 6 frontosa for $300. More then I'm willing to pay but I'd consider buying them at $200. I've been in the store several times and have never seen fry in that tank or any evidence of any breeding. Can it be assumed that they do breed if their been sold as a "colony"? I'd hate to buy them and find out later that they don't breed. That would defeat the whole point of buying them in the first place.

No it is not safe to assume they can breed simply because they are referred to as "a colony"...

Heck, if the store called them "a breeding colony" I still wouldn't assume they weren't 'exaggerating'...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store