Acrylic Tank question

GrossGraphix

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
Ohio
Ok when building a acrylic tank do you lay the botton down and then seal the sides on top of the bottom piece, Or do you seal the sides to the edge of bottom piece??

When your buying alot of gravel for a tank(300G) do you buy it in bulk from somewhere or buy lots of the little bags from pet store?

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Sides on top of the bottom, then top on top of the sides.

Not sure about gravel, I do sand. But I bought pool filter sand from the pool shop $7 for a 50lb bag. I assume you're shooting for something like a 8' x 2.5' footprint? If so 200lbs should do you fine, shoot for something around 10lbs per square foot.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
In regards to how to build an acrylic tank, CTU2fan has it right. Take pix of the finished product. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Find a local landscaping store. Buying 200lbs of gravel at a pet shop will cost you a small fortune (total rip off). You should be able to get 200lbs of nice gravel for $50 to $75 at a landscape shop.

GrossGraphix

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
Ohio
Would of never gave any thought for a landscape shop. Wonder if they have black. I also kinda figured you put sides on the top of bottom but was curiouse if anyone has done it the other so that the inside dimensions would actually be the dimensions. I'm gonna make a 96x30x24 in 1/2 or depending on my latest retailer find and how much he will charge me(said he could get me deal) for acrylic i may build 96x30x30 in 3/4

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
I think if you wrap the sides around the top/bottom you'd put too much stress on the seams, at least I assume that's the reason...either way my tank and all other acrylics I've looked at have the sides in between the top & bottom.

The 3M Colorquartz that a lot of people use is generally sold through landscap shops and comes in colors including black. It comes in different sizes from fine sand to a coarse gravel size. Definitely cheaper than LFS stuff...other than that I think you'll only find natural gravel/rock at non-fish shops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store