What's wrong with my IT?

6 bar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Antelope Valley
He has some odd looking infection on his left gill plate and a weird growth behind his right gill. I have begin treatment with Melafix and salt. I also treated with 5 days dosage of maracyn TC. He's 4.5" long and was eating well on MP, but became inconsistent. He did start eat to fd shrimp, but since I began treating with Maracyn he doesn't eat that much either.

Left side:

Right side:

Any ideas on a possible cure?

Thanks in advance.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Look likes an inflicted wound. Dose with salt , 2 lb per 100 g, up temp to 88 and leave lights of for 3 days. Then wc 40% and replace salt. Leave for another 2 days, then do gradual water changes to get rid of salt.

Always worked for me. Melafix u added should help. Don't add any more though. Salt seems to be more affected ime.

q_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Los Angeles CA
the eyes look puffy!! soo sad!

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
Infection and eye problems are almost always caused by poor water quality. Please test your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If ammonia and nitrite are over zero, and nitrate over 20, then this is where your problems lie. If not, you can have the peace of mind that your treatment will be effective.

6 bar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Antelope Valley
q_fish;3622975; said:
the eyes look puffy!! soo sad!

I agree. His eyes do look puffy. I'm treating with paraguard and the redness in the gill plate is now reduced.

I appreciate all your input. I will keep this thread posted with the outcome.

Thanks.

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
Could have scraped himself. Bad water quality will only further infect his wound. Every 2-3 day water changes, 30-40%. Add aquarium salt. Some people say table salt, i say not. Even if it's non iodized. If table salt was fine, than why would they make aquarium salt, plus its cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store