Piranha caught in South FLA .. This wont help the cause...

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
:headshake
This whole situation sucks.
I'm sure that in every lake or pond in Florida, there are a few non-native fish. If the fish in the lake were something else, say, I don't know, a Managuense (Said the kid caught one), nothing would be done. It's the word "Piranha" that instills the hysteria and fear in people that causes the kind of measures like poisoning to be taken. Rotanone is the same stuff used to poison Crofton pond in Maryland for Snakeheads...after hysteria of Snakeheads and even fear of Snakeheads entering peoples' houses or eating their kids festered for a few months.
I'm sorry to rant...but I find this ridiculous, that they felt the need to destroy the pond because they found 2 Piranhas. I suppose I would be more able to form an opinion if they said weather it was a man-made pond or a natural lake. I mean, they could've waited to see signs of them breeding.
Good looking PBass on top of that pile, and was the first dead/floating fish they showed a Cichlid?

assortedsorts

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Ontario
video only goes part way through...man im willing to bet money that it was another pacu scare :s
what a waste

Toxic Fish 9999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2009
WI
Wow the is bs 2 phirana last month wow why dont they set up gill nest or traps?

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
alyssatheurer;3629693; said:
video only goes part way through...man im willing to bet money that it was another pacu scare :s
what a waste
That's what I was thinking. I wish they had a pic of the "piranha."

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
There were pictures of the fish on the side of the page for me. I don't know if it was just a crawl. But the pictures shown were of a Piranha. No doubt about it.
Also, the guy who called the DNR seemed like he regretted calling them due to the poisoning thing. He was quoted saying so. He didn't seem like someone who would go around looking for attention because his son caught a "PIRANHA!!!"

Cichla dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
Springfield MA
www.facebook.com
Oh Man! Damn! That was a nice Cichlia Orino too! :(
-Alex
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

assortedsorts

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Ontario
Bottomfeeder;3629739; said:
There were pictures of the fish on the side of the page for me. I don't know if it was just a crawl. But the pictures shown were of a Piranha. No doubt about it.
Also, the guy who called the DNR seemed like he regretted calling them due to the poisoning thing. He was quoted saying so. He didn't seem like someone who would go around looking for attention because his son caught a "PIRANHA!!!"
the pics on the side are of related stories

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
Ugh that article is sickening. " Ferocious razor-toothed predators direct from the Amazon River basin." and then the big 'heroic' act of poisoning the lake...

I think they could have handled it way better than they did...and that irrisponsible pet owners really need to learn how to take care of their animals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store